eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: eBay

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Valecnik wrote:Of course course eBay fears it might reduce the amount they are clipping the poor seller for.
That's really what it comes down to. Circumventing the maximum penalty...I mean fee...is the ultimate crime in their eyes. The fees are becoming comparable to those of a brick and mortar auction house, except you still have to do all the work. If eBay came to my house, picked up my items, and sent me a check when they sold, I wouldn't have such a problem with what they charge.

carylee
Victor O

Post by carylee »

Hailey wrote:eBay = pain in the ass. Period.

You've got that right. I've been buying, and doing some selling now and then, on Ebay for about 13 years. I have 100% positive feedback on nearly 200 transactions. My periods of selling are generally separated by several years. When I started buying through Ebay, they were generally a "classifed" ad system. You paid for your item however you and the seller agreed, and they shipped how ever you and the seller agreed. Ebay was just the listing service. PayPal was Ebay's sworn enemy, as they had they're own payment system. Then Ebay BOUGHT Paypal, and it's been getting ever more tyrannical since.

Now, when I sell something, and the buyer pays, I'm told Paypal will hold my money for up to 21 days...but I must send the item immediately. I'm told that it will be like this until I become a "trusted" seller. Never mind that I've already sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff years ago when this policy didn't exist. 13 years, a couple hundred transactions, with 100% positive feedback, and I'll be trusted eventually I guess. I get all sorts of reminder notices that the item must be shipped immediately, because that's what I "promised"...must be part of their user agreement, because I never made that specific promise to Ebay, though I do ship ASAP. Then, I must enter a tracking number into the Ebay system, and then the time I will get paid gradually shortens as the package gets closer to the customer..culminating usually in a couple days after the tracking number shows "delivered".

AND, Ebay's shipping calculator is always wrong. You have to use it, but when you do, expect to pay more for shipping if you take the item to the shipper and pay them directly. The only way you can get the shipping rates Ebay figures is to pay for your shipping THROUGH Ebay's system, and then let Ebay create the shipping label for you, so you can print it on your own paper using your own ink..which doesn't always work, so a phone call must be made so their system will allow you to print it...blah blah blah, and on and on.

It's all so much that a casual user probably wouldn't bother with it. Maybe Ebay doesn't want casual users anymore. It's far easier to list on Craigslist.
"Before we start, the Steinway people have asked me to say that I'm playing a Baldwin piano tonight.." -Victor Borge

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

There is an excellent website, Rubylane.com. It allow the seller to have a set price on their merchandise, set their own shipping and terms. They are strict with both buyers and sellers, but it is a lot better and safer than ebay. There are sellers that have outrageous prices, and others with good prices. Over the years, I bought good phonograph items and general antiques from them. I think it would be a good alternative than ebay. Also, this forum is another good venue.
Harvey Kravitz

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

But yet...we are still willing to pay nearly $5000, sight unseen, on eBay for a Victor VI that is coated in "Spider Crap" and has rust that has replaced all the plating and a hole through the horn. Oh...the attraction of the almighty bidding battles. But thats all good...because this is what makes my Victor VI's worth holding on to. I really see no sense in selling a pristine, unmolested example for only a few hundred dollars more. However, this discussion is not about me. It is about how eBay has virtually changed the environment of transacting business. It is, however, a choice. As for me, I may tune in from time to time to see what is offered, but if you are planning to purchase from me, it sure as hell won't be on eBay.