Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Joe_DS
Victor I

Viva-Tonal 650 -- Buffalo Craigslist

Post by Joe_DS »

Don't see this model come up for sale that often:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/atq/4254867692.html
VivaTonal650.JPG
I take it this is fitted with the medium size Viva-tonal horn?

Joe_DS
(from Phonoland.com)

Cody K
Victor III

Re: Viva-Tonal 650 -- Buffalo Craigslist

Post by Cody K »

Boy howdy, if that were about three hundred and fifty miles closer to me, I'd gas it right up and drive it home!
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

I've not seen a Columbia 650, but I would assume that it has the same size horn that's in the other 600 series models. This was the smallest of the VivaTonal horns and very similar to the smallest Victor orthophonics such as the model 4-3. The 700 series Columbias had the middle size horn and the 800 series had the biggest horn. That said, the 600 series Columbias sound very good and similar to the small Victor orthos. I have the 611 and 613 as well as a Victor 4-3.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Maybe 4 miles from me, but I've still got that stupid VE-120 in the vehicle ! oh well

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

If she still has it on the 26th, I'm gonna pay the $195 & figure something out, pick-up wise.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

I'm glad that the machine is hopefully going to a forum member!
Gene

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Long ago, I had a 710, which I bought and sold for $125 in a fit of stupidity. If I can get this machine, it'll sorta make up for that. It IS a really interesting & modern-looking cabinet.

and just less than 23 inches wide, so it should fit next to the VE-120. In my car. Where it's been since August, I think. I really will appear on one of those Hoarders shows, I fear.

Okay, thanks (I think) for the heads-up on this! The 650 is now right next to the Victrola. I am surely the only person in New York State with TWO full-size antique phonos in his car.

The Columbia is fairly nice, overall. There's a bit of an air leak in the soundbox, so it'll need some work - maybe Mr. Steve Medved can do that for me. There's a little chunk of veneer missing from the horn door, but I found that inside the cabinet. Good finish for the most part, and the green velour/velvet on the turntable is perfect. Nickel plating is quite good. Screen on horn is perfect - no kitties scratching on that. No auto brake, and an interesting sheet-metal cover under the turntable.

I tipped it out of the Caravan at work (a cemetery!) & played a few discs that came with it. Paul Whiteman, Al Jolson, and Irving Aaronson. It was a hit, judging by the passers-by who stopped and gawked. And YES - another old collection of records with Whiteman's WHISPERING; I have yet to find a 1920s family collection without it. Also DARDANELLA, in this case on Columbia.

I got the feeling that Mister bought this, but Missus wanted it GONE - she pointed out how much room it took, but he rolled his eyes real quick when I glanced over. Poor guy. He got it at a house sale; a record brush says it was from a dealer in Batavia, NY.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Oh - I may have to go back, as she mentoned "more records upstairs", but HE said he wanted those. There was a short discussion while I got my car ready ... I think Mrs wants the extra records gone, too!

Joe_DS
Victor I

Post by Joe_DS »

Edisone wrote:Oh - I may have to go back, as she mentoned "more records upstairs", but HE said he wanted those. There was a short discussion while I got my car ready ... I think Mrs wants the extra records gone, too!
I think it's time for that guy to find himself a new Mrs.... :lol:

I'm glad you got it. I hated to think of something like this ending up as a fancy blanket cabinet or bar.

JDS

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Edisone, congratulations -- it's a really, really nice machine! (Now, c'mon, get those phonos outta the car -- do you really wanna subject them to repeated freeze/thaw cycles? Ohhhh...the phonality! :shock: )
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby