Curious United Talking Machine Record

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Curious United Talking Machine Record

Post by alang »

Just saw this lot on eBay. 3 Standard and 1 United record. Strange thing is that the United record seems to have the same ½" size center hole instead of the usual 1 ½". The label looks unmodified. Has anyone seen that before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Antique-TALKI ... 6016.l4276

Thanks
Andreas
Attachments
Capture.JPG

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Curious United Talking Machine Record

Post by phonogal »

I think this happened sometimes. I have one with a Standard label on one side and a Harmony label on the other. I think they were all made in the same factory.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Phonogal's right. By the teens, the records were virtually all Columbia pressings, and oddities pop up from time to time. "Wrong" size spindle holes... Incorrect labels... :)

George P.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I've ran into that myself. I have a client record or two that the label is partially removed revealing a Columbia label below. These little oddities is what makes this hobby so cool.
Harvey Kravitz

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Interesting! So that means that the records were pressed by Columbia, then - depending on the order - different labels were applied, and then the (hopefully) correct spindle hole was drilled or punched? Does that also mean that at least some of the dreaded records with enlarged spindle holes might have left the factory that way and have not been drilled by some owner later on? Obviously not Victor records, but any that were pressed by Columbia?

I wonder if someone 100 years from now will be just as excited about the odd MP3 player with an upside down label :lol:

Thanks
Andreas