A-250 FOR $275.00 on Cragslist !!!!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: A-250 FOR $275.00 on Cragslist !!!!

Post by fran604g »

Neat! I hope you keep us "in the loop" with your revitalization. :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Here are some of the pictures of the A-250. All of the serial #'s match, I'm just not sure what the writing on the inside of the cabinet means. The only cleaning I've done is some lemon oil on the wood. The cabinet has been restored back to a similar color, but you can see the difference from the insider drawers. The drawers look like a higher gloss shellac was used. Did they have a mute ball on the earlier models? I also received a union reproducer, key and I believe a light bulb box? Any and all comments are appreciated.
Edison A-250
Edison A-250
Attachments
237? inside cabinet
237? inside cabinet
1593 on cabinet and turntable
1593 on cabinet and turntable
crank and foot of cabinet
crank and foot of cabinet
20141005_105822.jpg
side vents
side vents
inside cabinet
inside cabinet
parts
parts
horn bedplate and wood speaker cover
horn bedplate and wood speaker cover
1593 on bedplate
1593 on bedplate
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

This thread talks about the volume control variation.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=18840

Is there a date on the bottom of that tag on the back door?

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

I notice the turntable is nickel not gold. Is this normal for the early A-250? I have one of about the same age with a nickel turntable, but I recently bought a later one that had a a gold turntable.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

rizbone wrote:I notice the turntable is nickel not gold. Is this normal for the early A-250? I have one of about the same age with a nickel turntable, but I recently bought a later one that had a a gold turntable.
This is also mentioned in the thread referenced above. The one posted here is certainly correct because it has the serial no. penciled on the bottom. I've also seen other A250s with correct gold wash and nickeled platters. Seems to have been somewhat random.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

I do not see a # on the back door but did notice the # 1920 on the horn coupler. I have been reading through as many of the posts that I can find on this sight, that's how I knew to look for the # on various parts, but I'm deducing there is no definitive confirmation on if some where shipped without the volume control, though it seems to be true. I also thought I read only 10,000 of these where made, but I am seeing higher #'s in my searches. Here are the pics of the Union reproducer and light bulb box. Inside the light bulb box I also have an odd looking diaphragm? I am thinking it's the back stop, sans rubber bumper, for the back door access panel. The side you can't see is rounded and yes that is hole, maybe a needles cup holder? Any ideas?
Attachments
Light bulb box and back stop for back door?
Light bulb box and back stop for back door?
Union Reproducer
Union Reproducer
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

That "light bulb box" is actually the box that the Edison Diamond Disc reproducer was originally packed in. I understand those were discontinued early on, and they are today sought after by collectors.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Yes that makes sense. I actually tried putting the Union in the box then it hit me, why would a Union go in an Edison box. :lol: It still never dawned on me to try the dd repro. :roll:
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

]So, if anyone was interested in one of the 78 Attachments with the original felt sound control mechanism for and Edison machine shown in this string, give me a should at Bandso@charter.net. They were made by "Union" and are called the Union number two. The one I have available is nickel plated, and complete with the correct original Union reproducer. Pictures and details available upon request. Shawn
which I found in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3045&p=14026&hilit=frow#p14026

I found I have the Union No.1 Pat'd Dec 6, 1904 which is inscribed below the knob which has the felt damper on it. The DD's reproducer's # is 8887 as far as I can make out (or they could be 3's) :geek: Anyway, in case anyone was interested.
Frederic Bastiat