Adding value with a wooden horn?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Adding value with a wooden horn?

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Hi all,

I didn't post this in the ebay section because the sale is complete and I'm more curious about wooden horns than this particular sale.
This ebay listing --> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321565313796?ssP ... 1423.l2649

What was it that caused the price to be so high? The seller was extremely honest about all the machine's
issues, and even indicated that the horn was a reproduction. So why? What am I missing here?

It's a lovely horn, but I'd figure only a collector would shell out that kind of $$ for a machine, and I'd
also guess a collector would have a better idea of it's value?
Vince
Youtube

mikejk
Victor II

Re: Adding value with a wooden horn?

Post by mikejk »

Mr Grumpy,
I too would be very interested to here what the more knowlegable members say. It has a turntable and motor from a portable no?
Nice looking machine though, and Mr Gfell's horns are very well made and attractive.
Mike

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

You guys present some fair questions. Who knows what possess people to spend money on certain items?? I agree, the item seemed to be described fairly. In the world of eBay, there may be numerous factors which cause an item to conclude with a certain price...some factors are dignified and some void of any breath of dignity whatsoever. You would think, that with as many bids that were made on this item (although some may have been made by the same bidder - I did not check), that there would not be that number of seriously uninformed buyers (collectors) out there. However, after following the trade for nearly 40 years, I have found that anything is possible.
The selling price was representative of what a pristine condition Victor I w/ a likewise pristine condition, original spear-tip oak horn should be valued at. As this machine sits that you refer to in the eBay listing, I would be hard-pressed to value it near the $600 mark.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Add to that you need to shell out $70 for the correct reproducer ;)

I'm waiting for someone with a wealth of knowledge and all the gramo-books to tell me this
machine retains it's incredibly RARE motor board hinges and that given the value of these parts
alone, the buyer got a good deal.
Vince
Youtube

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I think that such a nice reproduction wood horn by Don Gfell costs about $800-900 new. With everything actually looking quite nice I could have seen someone (not a collector) pay maybe in the $1200 range, but $2470 is extreme. That's nearly what the Victor 6 brought at the Breinigsville auction, even though that's a different setting. Lots of bids from different bidders. I guess some people really really liked this machine. :roll:

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Per Andreas: "I guess some people really really liked this machine. :roll: "

I guess the REAL question is WHY??? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

My son was the actual seller of record of this phonograph. For various reasons, I do not sell items of this caliber on either my website or on eBay.

That being said, I too was shocked by the end result. There was no shill bidding or other manipulation. Several bidders hung in there until the very end.

Interestingly, I bought this phonograph last year at auction, just because of the horn. Don Gfell was sitting right next to me, and when he mentioned that it was one of his horns, I just kind of goofed around and bid, and much to my surprise it became mine. When I got it home and examined what I had bought, I was tempted to throw it away and just keep the horn. Seriously.

It probably will never show up in the U.S. again, as it is already paid for and heading to the Far East.
The Chinese are becoming serious, discriminating (sometimes) phonograph collectors and with that comes the learning curve of various dealers over there.

Raphael

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

Raphael,
Very interesting, thank you very much.
Mike

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

The ad indicated that it was your son Raphael, and he was very honest with the information provided. That's why I waited until the auction ended before posting here.

How do you attract these far east buyers? :D
Vince
Youtube

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Very simply put, by paying attention to their needs and staying with them from the first inquiry until after the item is delivered, the same way I treat my customers in every corner of the globe. It also requires me to sleep at night with my iPhone next to my bed, and answer their questions 24/7. Every time I answer a question, say at 2AM, it saves an entire business day, as they are 12 hours ahead of us. In this way I can carry on an uninterrupted conversation that often leads to a relatively quick sale.

The eBay stuff is only a cheap advertising gimmick that brings new buyers into the fold, and represents less than 2% of my overall business, which includes antique clocks, music boxes, etc., as well as phonographs.

Also, I believe in the quote by Willie Sutton, who when released from prison for the 3rd time, was asked why he continued to rob banks. His answer: "That's where the money is". Same for me in this business, as well as others I have had over the years, I pay attention to the people who want to buy, and do everything in my power to make them happy and come back for more.

Raphael