Victor V

E M Ginn "Expert" table-top gramophone

Post by poodling around »

Attachments
ginn.jpg
ginn.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: E M Ginn "Expert" table-top gramophone

Post by epigramophone »

If the auctioneers have measured correctly, this machine has the rare 36 inch diameter "All Range" horn.

Interested parties should check the width of their door openings before bidding! The width of a standard UK door opening is 30 inches.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote:If the auctioneers have measured correctly, this machine has the rare 36 inch diameter "All Range" horn.

Interested parties should check the width of their door openings before bidding! The width of a standard UK door opening is 30 inches.
I can tell from that one picture alone that this is indeed an All-Range horn.

Where on earth do they get their absurd valuations from, "Flog It"? This should make between £5000 and £8000.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote:If the auctioneers have measured correctly, this machine has the rare 36 inch diameter "All Range" horn.

I can tell from that one picture alone that this is indeed an All-Range horn.

Where on earth do they get their absurd valuations from, "Flog It"? This should make between £5000 and £8000.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Steve wrote:I can tell from that one picture alone that this is indeed an All-Range horn.

What is the sonic range of the all-range horn in cps or hertz? I know it's something like nine feet long, stretched out, with a 36" mouth, as noted, and that the Orthophonic Credenza's six foot horn's "official" range was 100-5000 cps (cycles per second).

OrthoFan

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

OrthoFan wrote:
Steve wrote:I can tell from that one picture alone that this is indeed an All-Range horn.

What is the sonic range of the all-range horn in cps or hertz? I know it's something like nine feet long, stretched out, with a 36" mouth, as noted, and that the Orthophonic Credenza's six foot horn's "official" range was 100-5000 cps (cycles per second).

OrthoFan
I don't honestly know the length of horn even though I have an Expert Senior myself! The HMV 202 has a 9 foot long horn system; the Expert must be 11 or 12 foot long at least plus the extra mileage of the All-Range extension.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Sold for a hammer price of £8,500. The buyer would have paid £10,540 including 20% commission plus VAT.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

So good to see one of these turn up. I got left behind in the bidding half way. The condition report said the horn had been cut down and repaired. With all that flat black paint, I was a bit reluctant to bid. I was told by someone who saw it in person that it is a stunning piece.
It was great to see the auctioneers bend over backwards to provide a condition report and then even more pictures when requested. They deserve the 29.94% commission inc vat.
Congratulations to the winner.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Does anyone know who bought it?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

So they took more than one miserly photograph in the end? Someone must have alerted them that their nonsensical estimate was highly unrealistic and the gramophone would fetch a lot of money. They don't read this forum so they didn't see my more realistic estimate.

I'm more shocked how auctioneers expect people to bid based on the sole opening picture and no description.

Do they really deserve 30% for a few pictures and brief report?