Coin Slot Graphophone for auction in UK.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Coin Slot Graphophone for auction in UK.

Post by epigramophone »

Attachments
graphophone.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Coin Slot Graphophone for auction in UK.

Post by poodling around »

Most interesting.

I wonder:

Is it complete ? Where are the coins inserted ? Why does it have two horns ? Where would it have been displayed for use ?

(My ignorance knows no bounds) :(

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

poodling around wrote:Most interesting.

I wonder:

Is it complete ? Where are the coins inserted ? Why does it have two horns ? Where would it have been displayed for use ?

From the single image provided, this BS appears to be complete. The braided connection from trunnion to horn is disconnected, but it seems to all be there. The coins are inserted from the top - - just above the coin chute. Here's a photo that shows it better:
BS1.JPG
This rear view with the top removed shows virtually everything:
BS2.JPG
Neither horn in the auction is original to the machine. At the time the BS was sold, the customer had a choice of a horn or ear tubes. The glass ear pieces included in the auction may be original, but the red tubing is not.

It's surprising that the auctioneer (who clearly knows little about antique phonographs) should call this an "Edwardian" machine. In the U.S., sellers call a surprising amount of stuff "Victorian," whether it was made before 1901 or not. In this case, the auctioneer's refreshing change of pace may actually be a bit too late, as the BS appeared in mid-1898. They were, however, offered beyond 1901, so it's possibly Edwardian, but without the serial number it's impossible to tell.

Here's the earliest known advertisement for a BS, as it appeared inn the August 1898 issue of The Phonoscope:
phonoscope13hunt_0326.jpg
As for where a BS would have been used, the ad above offers advice. Basically anywhere people might be congregated would work: train stations, ferry terminals, hotels, stores, etc. The BS was popular in that no electricity was needed, and it cost only $20.00. For these reasons, the BS is today the least difficult coin-operated cylinder phonograph to locate and afford.

You can access The Phonoscope online, and it's a rich source of information:

https://archive.org/details/phonoscope13hunt/page/n5

George P.

Edited for proper Phonoscope date. It wasn't 1989!
Last edited by phonogfp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Although the original horn is not there in the auction photo, the original horn elbow is (along with an elbow for a conventional style horn).

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

phonogfp wrote:
poodling around wrote:Most interesting.

I wonder:

From the single image provided, this BS appears to be complete. The braided connection from trunnion to horn is disconnected, but it seems to all be there. The coins are inserted from the top - - just above the coin chute. Here's a photo that shows it better:
BS1.JPG
This rear view with the top removed shows virtually everything:
BS2.JPG
Neither horn in the auction is original to the machine. At the time the BS was sold, the customer had a choice of a horn or ear tubes. The glass ear pieces included in the auction may be original, but the red tubing is not.

It's surprising that the auctioneer (who clearly knows little about antique phonographs) should call this an "Edwardian" machine. In the U.S., sellers call a surprising amount of stuff "Victorian," whether it was made before 1901 or not. In this case, the auctioneer's refreshing change of pace may actually be a bit too late, as the BS appeared in mid-1898. They were, however, offered beyond 1901, so it's possibly Edwardian, but without the serial number it's impossible to tell.

Here's the earliest known advertisement for a BS, as it appeared inn the August 1989 issue of The Phonoscope:
phonoscope13hunt_0326.jpg
As for where a BS would have been used, the ad above offers advice. Basically anywhere people might be congregated would work: train stations, ferry terminals, hotels, stores, etc. The BS was popular in that no electricity was needed, and it cost only $20.00. For these reasons, the BS is today the least difficult coin-operated cylinder phonograph to locate and afford.

You can access The Phonoscope online, and it's a rich source of information:

https://archive.org/details/phonoscope13hunt/page/n5

George P.

Thank you so very much phonogfp for taking the time and effort to thoroughly explain, in such a clear and concise manner - in such away that you have answered all of my queries - and even I have no problem in understanding.

I am genuinely grateful.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome!

If you haven't already encountered it, The Fabulous Phonograph by Roland Gelatt offers a very nice overview of the early years of the phonograph industry and its effect on society. It's not very technical, entertainingly written, and with an emphasis on the music. It's also remarkably accurate for being the first book-length treatment of the subject (1955). There are also 1965 and 1977 versions, all of which can be purchased cheaply online.

(I don't recommend From Tinfoil to Stereo to anyone other than very well-informed historians of the phonograph who won't be misled by its many inaccuracies; and then only to see how much better the books have become since then!)

George P.