Victrola VV-X Spider Leg-Queen Anne in Oak on ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Django
Victor IV

Victrola VV-X Spider Leg-Queen Anne in Oak on ebay

Post by Django »

Not mine, (at least not yet, but thinking about it). One of my many all time favorites.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1913-Spid ... SwZK1eJO9K
Attachments
OSLV.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Victrola VV-X Spider Leg-Queen Anne in Oak on ebay

Post by melvind »

I love oak 10s. This is a beautiful example, but seems quite overpriced to me. It is too far away from me to have interest.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Beautiful machine, but I don't think I could live with that eerie face on the underside of the lid staring at me every time I opened it up. Guess I'll have to pass....

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

melvind wrote:I love oak 10s. This is a beautiful example, but seems quite overpriced to me. It is too far away from me to have interest.

Agreed. A friend of mine picked up his for $200 - complete and all original - just a few years ago, I think around 1980. And I just saw one on facebook marketplace for $75. Granted, it wasn't oak, it had been refinished, and it was missing the lid, motor, reproducer and two of its legs, but no matter.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Be a little cautious. The finish on the top of the lid does not look right in the photos. Looks like maybe the veneer is missing and someone may have just put a finish on what's left. I could be completely wrong about that, but if it were me, I'd ask for better pics of the lid.

As for price, there was a similarly nice looking one at a Stanton auction a couple years back. I was certain that I would own it.... and I was wrong. Sold for $1200, as I recall.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

I’m bringing a nice Oak Spider Leg X to the Orlando show this weekend. It is priced way below this asking price.
Joe

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Crank_it_up wrote:I’m bringing a nice Oak Spider Leg X to the Orlando show this weekend. It is priced way below this asking price.
Joe

Is this really the purpose of this forum now, to criticize, undercut and even flat out attempt to undersell the machines, work and/or sales/offerings of others? I understand constructive criticism and guidance to others concerning general values and pointers when buying, but if you have another example of something someone’s selling, why not just post it with a price rather than comment on a thread like this that you have one too and, hey, it’s cheaper so buy mine instead?

And yes, this is my machine and my eBay listing, but it was someone else who posted that listing here.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Brian,

It goes beyond the Forum. I sold a high-end (restored) machine in December and the buyer was delighted with it. A few weeks later an "expert" friend came to see it, and picked it apart. It will be my first return in 3 years. Still don't have it back, he's finding out that packing it up properly is not such an easy job.

Raphael

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Raphael wrote:Brian,

It goes beyond the Forum. I sold a high-end (restored) machine in December and the buyer was delighted with it. A few weeks later an "expert" friend came to see it, and picked it apart. It will be my first return in 3 years. Still don't have it back, he's finding out that packing it up properly is not such an easy job.

Raphael
It seems to go beyond just this hobby as well. Everything seems a race to the bottom these days.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

These are not my machines and I posted this Queen Anne X and the Pooley Victrola because I think that they are interesting, scarce and desirable. If someone sees something that a buyer should be made aware of and wants to warn others, that’s fine and in my opinion a good thing, but I agree with the seller that it is in poor taste to try to undercut him. Just my 2 cents. I would be happy to and proud to have either of them in my home.