Victor VI

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor VI

Post by JerryVan »

Raphael wrote:I have no dog in this fight, but might mention that irony and satirical humor simply do not always come across well when being read by a broad audience. While some might have chuckled at Brian’s response, you took offense, which is also fully understandable. Where I was raised, in the heart of Brooklyn, we thrived on this kind of humor.
It’s taken me 72 years to finally come to grips with this and I try to keep my own wisecracks strictly between select friends, although a few pop up now and then in spite of myself.

Raphael
Thanks for the perspective Raphael. Much appreciated. Lots of added tension these days. On a different day I might have chuckled as well. Again, thank you.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

The HBO show "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is all about how humor can be taken the wrong way.

And yup, we're all on edge these days. Reminds me of a few days after 9/11, I had a problem with a belligerent ex-tenant outside my rental office and I called the police. The first-responder, a macho detective, almost arrested me because I said to him "I called 911 to get this guy off my property, not for you invite him into my office". Luckily, just as he was about to put the cuffs on me, other police arrived and talked sense into the detective. But in retrospect, if I had said, "Officer, I am scared of this guy, please remove him from my office and property", the detective might have not gone off on me.

You're a good man for seeing the other side......

Raphael

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Raphael wrote:I have no dog in this fight, but might mention that irony and satirical humor simply do not always come across well when being read by a broad audience. While some might have chuckled at Brian’s response, you took offense, which is also fully understandable. Where I was raised, in the heart of Brooklyn, we thrived on this kind of humor.
It’s taken me 72 years to finally come to grips with this and I try to keep my own wisecracks strictly between select friends, although a few pop up now and then in spite of myself.

Raphael
Exactly correct. I'm an ex B'klynite as well. The dry sarcasm often turns into a "sarchasm". I have been told more than once that I'm an ass when I was just making a crack to lighten the mood. My wife (Anaheim, Ca.) tells me she can't believe I've never been socked. Well, life ain't over yet.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek