Post by JerryVan »

Attachments
T-90.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: FB Marketplace: Japanese(?) Model T-90 Tabletop Orthopho

Post by gramophone-georg »

Oooooh, I have been Jonesing one of those since Shep was a pup... too bad it's way over in Michigan! :cry:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe they'll ship it?

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

This is actually an American machine, sold by RCA Victor in 1930 and 1931. This machine was advertised in Texas and in rural Northern Minnesota, at least. Although reported as an export model (and remember that Canada was still a strong market for non-Electric talking machines in 1930) it appears that these non-electric machines were sold rather widely in rural areas before the arrival of the “High Line”.

I have found numbers of fairly expensive 1926-29 vintage machines which ended up in rural Southside Virginia, including a number of “X” machines with the Induction Disc motors removed and spring motors substituted in a most professional manner. It appears that there was a stronger market for non-electric machines in the hinterlands than the Radio Corporation realized. Remember that much of the country was not properly served by network radio until the super power stations signed on, and so until 1932 or 1933 the phonograph was the only source for music which was not home made in some areas.

I’m picking this machine up in the morning.

Now if I could only find a V-30 console!
Last edited by Uncle Vanya on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Uncle Vanya wrote:This is actually an American machine, sold by RCA Victor in 1930 and 1931.

I’m picking it up in the morning.

Now if I could only find a V-30 console!
Cool! Glad you're getting it.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I’ve picked up the machine. It is no more “Japanese” than I am. It has been in one family since (as a used machine)
it was given as a wedding present in 1940 in Hamtramick MI. The story is that an uncle of the happy couple owned
or worked for a radio shop in Highland Park. This machine had come as a trade-in about the time of the wedding
In June of 1940. The records that were with the machine were consistent with this story, popular issues of mostly hit numbers from “The Parade of the Milk Bottle Caps” to “There Are Such Things”, with a few post-war issues like “Oh, What It Seemed to Be”
and “Rumors Are Flying”. This machine was apparently replaced with a Philco 46-1203 Combination.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I’ve picked up the machine. It is no more “Japanese” than I am.
I apologize for my grievous error. Having seen it pictured in this thread, concerning Japanese Victors viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44553&hilit=japanese and not having read every word of that thread, I unwittingly spoke a falsehood.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Sorry. I was attempting to be funny and failed miserably.

The accepted wisdom has for some years claimed that this was an export only machine despite numbers of examples turning up here in the ‘States. This is yet another example of this model with a long US pedigree.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Sorry. I was attempting to be funny and failed miserably.

The accepted wisdom has for some years claimed that this was an export only machine despite numbers of examples turning up here in the ‘States. This is yet another example of this model with a long US pedigree.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

You mean that Uncle Vanya is not Japanese? You learn something everyday!