Victrola XX - Now Under House Arrest

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Victrola XX - Now Under House Arrest

Post by Raphael »

I listed this Victrola on eBay a week or so ago:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164156595979

One of the reasons I list on eBay is that it provides a cheap advertising venue, even though I have to endure the occasional sale there and pay their outrageous commissions.

This particular XX was purchased by me last June at Union in exactly the condition shown on eBay, except that I added a better set of albums. A fellow Forum member emailed me a few hours ago accusing me of fraudulently representing the gold-leaf trim. I was unaware that a few years ago this machine turned up at Stanton's without the gold-leaf. Anyway, the gold leaf was neither added by me nor did I know of the prior history. I have removed the listing from eBay. For the record, I have never added gold leaf to an XX.

Just want to point out, that when anybody deputizes themselves as part of the Phonograph Police, the best course of action is to be nicely informative in such a case. George Paul and Rene Rondeau set the gold standard for educating members without accusations, insults or otherwise being demeaning.

I have decided to keep this beautiful XX on house arrest for myself and family to enjoy.

Raphael

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victrola XX - Now Under House Arrest

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's wonderful that you're keeping this machine. With a business name like "Musical Treasures," it's good to keep a few true treasures around for personal enjoyment.

That said, I'm seeing the pun there in the "gold standard" of information.

By the way, to set the record straight, I know people get rather polarized about gold trim on the XX model. Is the gold decoration real, or is it something put on later? Either way it is certainly pretty but I do not know much at all about high-end Victrolas.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I've got no lack of antique treasures and it's part of my enjoyment of the business that my house serves as an ever-changing showcase for them. I do, however, have a few on the "Do Not Sell" list, mainly due to my wife's insistence.

Apparently the gold trim on this XX was added before I bought it. But quite frankly, even if it was known to me, it would not have changed my decision to buy it, only that I would have openly stated this fact in the listing.

The point of my original posting, however, was not specifically about an XX, rather it was meant to point out that sharing information and correcting others can be done in a courteous and educational way. It was quite the opposite in this case, with everything from accusations of "fraud", threats of exposure and shaming being bandied about, etc. All this from a past customer who has bought many high-end items from me. Perhaps he is seeking revenge, because this is not the first time he's acted in such a way, and due to such actions I had refused to sell him an XX previously.

Raphael

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Well personally I think this speaks volumes about you as an honest trader. The moment it was pointed out you have been up front and honest about the error and cancelled the listing. Whilst I have never dealt with you myself I have only read good things about you and the quality of the items you sell.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thank you for the kind words. I have no reason or need to cheat anybody by misrepresentation or fraud, and stand behind what I sell with a 100% money-back guarantee. But I do admit to being a bit prickly, and refuse to do business with certain types of people who manifest their own lack of self-confidence by being overly suspicious and/or unfairly accusing others.

Raphael