BEAUTIFUL ANTIQUE 1900'S VICTROLA HAND CRANK PHONOGRAPH

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: BEAUTIFUL ANTIQUE 1900'S VICTROLA HAND CRANK PHONOGRAPH

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gramophone-georg wrote:Columbia client- I've seen these before. Oxford, if memory serves- actually a Grafonola, not a Victrola.
Exactly! I ended up with the pieces to build one of these little guys a while ago; they are the BZH hornless phonograph. I think they were sold from 1912 to 1916. Soundgen is dead wrong about pulling the motors; they sound great and have a wood-grained horn, not to mention the open-horn Graphophone takes a very different sort of motor than the pillar-and-plate motors found in these.

They aren't the greatest quality of build, as they sold in the Sears catalog for $9.95, but they work and would be a great way to get people into the hobby, as well as a good buy for the collector who just likes small and cute phonographs.

The picture is of mine half disassembled, undergoing restoration. I traded it in for a paint job that I couldn't pull off, fixing a little graphophone I bought as a project machine from Jerry B. that really needed a more colorful horn. The artist loved the BZH, and I am tickled to have the graphophone--there's always a place for little phonographs in this hobby, just like there was 110 years ago.
Attachments
DSC00004.JPG

Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: BEAUTIFUL ANTIQUE 1900'S VICTROLA HAND CRANK PHONOGRAPH

Post by Viva-voce »

Agree. It's a shame that those who were banned were reinstated. The previous moderator only banned members who committed offenses repeatedly. The removals were done fairly and only with good reason. :rose:[/quote]

Yes. Well-said, AZ

Thanks,
Steven