Is it just me...?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Is it just me...?

Post by Curt A »

When I look at listings on eBay lately, I wonder if I'm losing my mind... Or is the Wuhan Virus affecting the minds of eBay sellers? Maybe it's the "Free Postage"...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Credita-Vict ... 0752.m1982
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.08.30 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Is it just me...?

Post by JerryVan »

Saw this too. His other stuff is way up there too. Perhaps the Yen is very strong against the dollar right now :)

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

It's not just ebay. I have contacted sellers through "other outlets" and been getting some very ODD replies - really out of the world (high) prices for average machines and messages just sitting with NO responses. There are strange things going on right now :lol: I told my wife the other day I should go back to college and study sociology or psychology - humans are VERY interesting.... Example, look at the all the toilet paper nonsense... Sorry if I offended anybody....

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Granby wrote:It's not just ebay. I have contacted sellers through "other outlets" and been getting some very ODD replies - really out of the world (high) prices for average machines and messages just sitting with NO responses. There are strange things going on right now :lol: I told my wife the other day I should go back to college and study sociology or psychology - humans are VERY interesting.... Example, look at the all the toilet paper nonsense... Sorry if I offended anybody....
This is how antique/ collectibles dealers always seem to react in a downturn. Prices go way up and attitudes go way hostile.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I shop for phonographs on Facebook Market Place and it's never been unusual for me to find an average looking machine with a sky high price. I just figure that the seller doesn't want to research the current value and would rather just throw out an arbitrary price. If I thought that they weren't lazy, I would let them know. Here is a good example.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7981355313
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

audiophile102 wrote:I shop for phonographs on Facebook Market Place and it's never been unusual for me to find an average looking machine with a sky high price. I just figure that the seller doesn't want to research the current value and would rather just throw out an arbitrary price. If I thought that they weren't lazy, I would let them know. Here is a good example.
Yup- photos just scream "clueless"...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
audiophile102 wrote:I shop for phonographs on Facebook Market Place and it's never been unusual for me to find an average looking machine with a sky high price. I just figure that the seller doesn't want to research the current value and would rather just throw out an arbitrary price. If I thought that they weren't lazy, I would let them know. Here is a good example.
Yup- photos just scream "clueless"...
Is that a coffee grinder handle or a high-torque ratchet mechanism handle? It sure ain't a phonograph motor winding arm. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In the UK, gramophone sellers on eBay seem to be occupying their lockdown time by dismantling machines. I have never seen so many parts for sale, and so few interesting complete machines. The reason may be that parts are easy to post but complete machines, other than portables, are not. The overall number of listings is down, which eBay tries to disguise by displaying some listings twice. Perhaps they think no-one will notice.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Here is another amazing example of what I can most kindly describe as a parts machine.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0239435307
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."