Never seen this Kimball Floor Model Before...

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Never seen this Kimball Floor Model Before...

Post by dzavracky »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 712773753/

Ive never seen this one before! It looks like it would sound pretty good? Someone up in Ohio should try to get it!
Attachments
82868864_3460182617343578_6598944919312662528_o.jpg
101863146_3460182600676913_2164024258546630656_o.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Never seen this Kimball Floor Model Before...

Post by OrthoFan »

Looks like the original tonearm/reproducer was replaced with one culled from an older model. Here's a grainy youtube video that shows the correct style tonearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnC3gJgVloY

OrthoFan

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Does anyone know how big the horn is on this machine? I know that on some of these Credenza knock-offs, the horn is a dinky thing, masked behind a big grille. Just curious. :squirrel:
Best regards ... AZ*

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

...well now, I'm wondering if I should take back what I said about the tonearm.

I spotted this add from a 1926 edition of "The Talking Machine World" which sort of shows what looks to be the top of a tonearm similar to the one fitted to model for sale:
The New Kimball Phonograph.jpg
FROM: https://ia801700.us.archive.org/BookRea ... 4&rotate=0

That, and the recessed cup to accommodate the sound-box, and the fact that the tonearm is tapered and not straight or stair-stepped as is the case with most pre-1925 off brand model tonearms makes me wonder if the early Kimball (Orthophonic clone) models used this type of tonearm.

OrthoFan

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

The tone arm did strike me as weird.. It almost looks too short in the pictures.

I wonder how it sounds ;)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I believe the tone arm is just fine. In my opinion, the YouTube machine has the wrong arm.

I really like that Kimball. Being a big fan of the Orthophonic Credenza, it's always fun seeing the knock-offs made by other firms. I never knew that Kimball had a version of their own. Would love to hear it play. Cabinet & finish look great.

Kimball Phonic
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Offbrands are the most interesting

Post by Kimball Phonic »

Hi all,
I went and picked this machine up just over a week ago and wanted to share what I have learned about it. Staring with my only complaint - the machine has been poorly refinished, brush marks from stain and a poly top coat, so it'll need to be refinished some time in the future. Besides that it is a really cool machine, and a well designed Credenza clone. The brass motor plate is beautiful, and I believe original to the machine. My theory is that as Kimball was getting out of the phonograph market they started to used the generic Toman arm and motor that we see in the video above. Going off that theory this machine would be one of the earlier one (they were first introduced in Sept. 26, according to TMW). The reproducer is the same Toman reproducer used on my Silvertone Imperial Credenza clone, but it has a custom brass K face plate. Moving on to the million dollar question, the horn is indeed folded and takes up the entirety of the cabinet. The horn goes down the neck, reflects at the bottom, and then comes out the mouth. Some other cool features on the machine include pneumatic tubes for the lid, and a large needle box with in the cabinet that you theoretically never have to empty. The motor and reproducer were rebuilt by the previous owner but I have having trouble with the reproducer buzzing during loud passages of the record. I have tightened the two pins holding the stylus bar in, so I don't know what is causing the buzz unfortunately. If anyone has any more questions about the machine I'll be glad to answer them and post additional pictures as need be.
Attachments
Kimball Reproducer.JPEG
Kimball Folded Horn.JPEG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The buzzing probably indicates that the reproducer needs a rebuild with new, soft gaskets...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I’m glad you got it! If you can post a video of it playing that’d be awesome!

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Judging by your other reproducer, it appears the Kimball version might not have the original diaphragm??