Mystery soundbox.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Mystery soundbox.

Post by epigramophone »

This machine comes with two soundboxes, a Columbia No.9 (correct for a very early 202) and an unusual one which I do not recognise. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Colu ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
sbox.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Mystery soundbox.

Post by Curt A »

I don't know what the mystery reproducer is, but I like it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Now we have another mystery. The unusual spare soundbox has disappeared from the listing without a word from the seller.
The machine has already been relisted once and is now even less likely to sell.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

That second soundbox seems to be back again and appears both in the pictures and the description. Perhaps they need to make their mind up!
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Whatever the extra sound-box comes from , I really can't see this 202 selling at £ 225 ! What planet are these people on ?? !! But I suppose the easy answer to that question is the seller is just not aware of likely selling prices for an example of that model :lol:

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Now it's off again. But the soundbox seems to have some lettering on the back, albeit unreadable in the photos...
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

soundbox is now for sale !

According to a collector, this is " possibly a "VIRTZ"soundbox made by a jeweller in the 1920s. He often scratched the type of music to be played by the soundbox on the backplate, as they were tuned for certain types of music"

I have looked for something scratched on this but cannot find anything other than "British Make" stamped into the back. It does look like the rear bayonet is a later replacement as there is a 2nd hole next to the bayonet screw.
Please have a listen to it playing & judge the tone for yourself as I have no more information about this item.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Gram ... SwTzpfWhfo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The collector who identified the soundbox as possibly by Virtz is a good friend of mine, and a fellow forum member, who knows his soundboxes.

I see that despite the soundbox now being listed separately, the price of the gramophone has not been correspondingly reduced. No wonder it is not selling.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

The Virtz possibility is interesting, but neither the suspension nor the tonearm mounting seem to show any development beyond ordinary soundbox designs. I suspect this may be an example of a standard soundbox of the type that Harry Virtz modified, rather than a Virtz one as such. Anyone's guess though - how many times do we wish we had a time machine (other than the glorious gramophones we all enjoy, that is)?!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?