Pathé floor model on CL (Connecticut)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
ymg200
Victor O

Pathé floor model on CL (Connecticut)

Post by ymg200 »

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Pathé floor model on CL (Connecticut)

Post by edisonplayer »

Either it was stripped or painted.edisonplayer.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

It appears to have been "antiqued". Painted in a faux wood grain in odd colors. My mother "improved" a lot of furniture in the 1960s that way

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

colmike1 wrote:It appears to have been "antiqued". Painted in a faux wood grain in odd colors. My mother "improved" a lot of furniture in the 1960s that way
Mine did as well. After she passed away I inherited one of the pieces, which I promptly dropped off with a furniture restorer to have the "antiquing" removed and the old finish restored. I'm generally a fan of the 1960s and 1970s, but not that part of it.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

pughphonos wrote:
colmike1 wrote:It appears to have been "antiqued". Painted in a faux wood grain in odd colors. My mother "improved" a lot of furniture in the 1960s that way
Mine did as well. After she passed away I inherited one of the pieces, which I promptly dropped off with a furniture restorer to have the "antiquing" removed and the old finish restored. I'm generally a fan of the 1960s and 1970s, but not that part of it.
Every time my grand parents painted their living room, they painted their RCA radio. It had 12 distinct coats of paint. When my brother and I restored it in the late 1970s, it shrunk ⅛" in height and width!

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Wow, that many coats? But not surprising for that generation. Painting everything in light colors was all the rage in the 1930s, '40s and '50s--and the '50s return to wood was still very beige. Thank goodness the mid-'60s restored an appreciation for lush dark wood. I live in a 1971 split-level with plenty of dark wood.

But the pendulum never stops swinging. You watch those HGTV renovation shows and they are nuts about stark white.
Bleah!

Mindy
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.