Strange request for antique phono dealer on SF Craigslist...

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
OrthoFan
Victor V

Strange request for antique phono dealer on SF Craigslist...

Post by OrthoFan »

I spotted this today:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/d/ ... 02575.html

" rich big time dealer wanted - $2,500 (SACRAMENTO)
25 wind up victrola phonographs---------all fixed and working good-----with some free records and needles with each machine----------------no camera no picture--------u need a big truch with floorspace for 160 square ft floor---------------------20 standup models and 5 console type---------------------all u big times call show contact info
-----you will be helping out an old veteran with health problems get ridof this collection before he is gone------------the alligators are at the door 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get up off your duff and that couch and get these asap--------------------

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offer
"

Anyone know who the collector might be?

OrthoFan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Strange request for antique phono dealer on SF Craigslis

Post by epigramophone »

I cannot believe that anyone with internet access and the ability to advertise on Craigslist is unable to take pictures.
If genuine, the tone of the advert suggests a deliberately difficult person. Not someone that I would consider doing business with.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

This ad, in various iterations, has appeared on Craigslist for quite some time. The saying, "Pictures or it didn't happen/exist," really applies here.
Last edited by CharliePhono on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Here's a dealer I saw on an auction site. minimal item description, but this:

"Upon successful purchase, the item must be paid within 7 days & picked up within 30 days. ◾2 weeks Payment deadline ◾4 weeks Pickup deadline ◾After expiration deadline, $200.- Stock fees will be charged per day & the case will be automatically handed over to a debt collection agency. Unfortunately, we have to implement these measures as we encounter many unserious bidders. ◾When transferring payment, please write the article number as a comment, if you would like to collect it, please note that the item "will be picked up". Please let us 1-2 days in advance with all item numbers, so we will prepare everything for the collection. Damage caused by post is not our problem "

not if they were the last seller on the planet!