Edison Phonograph Cylinder Cabinet

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Edison Phonograph Cylinder Cabinet

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Saw this listing for an Edison cylinder cabinet on FB Marketplace. Looks pretty cool, but is it legitimate?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 6780069863
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 9.34.23 PM.png

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Edison Phonograph Cylinder Cabinet

Post by Curt A »

It's a legitimate "cabinet" of some sort, not sure if it's a "legitimate Edison cabinet", but for $110 it seems like a reasonable price for something to store cylinders in. If those glass fronts are not period pieces, someone went to a lot of work to make them look the part. Actually, if it was closer I might be tempted to buy it... It may have been something used in a phonograph store.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Yep even if not legit,, IIIIIIII like it.. LOL

blizz

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

It had been on ebay a week or so ago with and Edison cylinder phonograph, but ended with reserve not met. I think it is cool, but too far away

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Yes, probably a vintage cabinet of some sort for sure, but I was just wondering if this was something known to have been produced by Edison, perhaps based on similar cabinets being found out there. The glass drawer fronts are neat, but I've seen similar faked/repro items (such as railroad ticket windows) done with the black and gold paint. Reproducing these would be a lot of work, and seems Edison cylinders would be a pretty obscure field to fake, and for a narrow "target" audience. Plus, the seller's own description casts some doubt that it is 100% authentic.

I guess it could be a one-off custom cabinet made by a music store and therefore a real one-of-a-kind gem, or just the first one of thousands of these to come off the ship and start flooding the US antiques market.

I don't have any Edison machines or cylinders (and the wife said we don't have anymore space :| ) so not a temptation, even if it is the real deal.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

BUT... you are Soooo close... AND, you can always find an Edison machine and cylinders to fill it up... AND, you can throw some other piece of furniture out to make space... :lol:

PS: my wife wouldn't let me get it either, even if it was free... :roll:

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Mystery solved. It’s a newer cabinet I purchased from a fellow forum member several years ago when he was selling off a good bit of his collection. He embellished it with the Edison logos. Pretty nice huh? Another collector was here picking up another purchase and I sold it to him. I have the exact match to it just without the Edison gold leaf.

Regards, Wes

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Wes,
Any idea how the graphics on, or behind, the glass was done - decals, hand lettering, etc.?

My Wife

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Yes, you can contact Mooperator here on the forum. He just explained the process that he did to achieve that look to me. If you aren’t able to contact him through the forum let me know and I will get you intouch with him.

Regards, Wes