What is it ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: What is it ?

Post by JerryVan »

CarlosV wrote:
epigramophone wrote:I have no interest in Nazi memorabilia, and I doubt that the seller even noticed that a small part of the flag was in the pictures.
As for "kicking it off eBay" try entering "Nazi" as a search. I found almost 21,000 items listed. Whether we like it or not, these things are widely collected.
The trade of Nazi stuff is forbidden in Germany, but it is legal in most other European countries. It is odd that someone would use a Nazi flag as background to sell anything, but, like Roger, this kind of memorabilia does not fall in my list of interests, much to the opposite.
I'm certain they didn't intentionally use it as background to sell this phonograph. It was no more intentional than the dresser that also sits in the background.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

The transfer states Calcutter India and the one on the corner of the lid matches.They both appear aged and look authentic?
Is it an Indian model perhaps pre Crap-o-phone?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Well, it sold for a total of around £ 290 !

I hope someone on here bought it so we can hear a little bit more detail about the interesting gramophone.

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

Post by Adamp1gramophone »

Hello everyone - I have been trying to get registered on the forum since I read the interesting discussion here and I have only just succeeded!

I was actually the one who won the auction for this interesting gramophone and therefore I wanted to share some additional pictures with you. The point made by epigramophone about the lid appears to be completely correct. The material used for the 'lid' is completely different and weighs next to nothing in comparison.

I will attach the images below that I have taken. Would be great if anyone knew anything else or if the pictures show something interesting!

P.s. - I picked up the gramophone in person and the chap was definitely quirky but very friendly :D
Attachments
image8.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image9.jpeg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Very interesting indeed. The soundbox reminds me a little of a Lenthall - it probably isn't though. Does it have any marking on it I wonder ?

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

poodling around wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:18 pm Very interesting indeed. The soundbox reminds me a little of a Lenthall - it probably isn't though. Does it have any marking on it I wonder ?
It doesn't have any markings on it anywhere. I have taken some pictures so you can see it a little better! Very intrigued to find out more!
Attachments
image0-1.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Welcome to the forum Adam. I've heard that soundbox described as a 'Magnet'. It was fairly ubiquitous and was sold under various names. This one has had its mica diaphragm replaced by an aluminium one - I did the same on a Magnet of mine, and it sounds surprisingly good. Yours will clearly benefit from a rebuild - those gaskets look pretty crusty!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

Orchorsol wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 am Welcome to the forum Adam. I've heard that soundbox described as a 'Magnet'. It was fairly ubiquitous and was sold under various names. This one has had its mica diaphragm replaced by an aluminium one - I did the same on a Magnet of mine, and it sounds surprisingly good. Yours will clearly benefit from a rebuild - those gaskets look pretty crusty!
Thanks Orchorsol! That is definitely something that I can look to do. I will try to see if I can source the suitable parts.

Any ideas about the rest of the gramophone?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Adamp1gramophone wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 pm Thanks Orchorsol! That is definitely something that I can look to do. I will try to see if I can source the suitable parts.

Any ideas about the rest of the gramophone?
No idea, sorry! Have fun with it!
Andy
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?