Wagner Bayreuth Festival Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal, more!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Wagner Bayreuth Festival Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal, more!

Post by marcapra »

1928 Tristan and Isolde by Wagner on 19 Columbia Viva Tonal records from Bayreuth Festival.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274569030886 SOLD

Wagner Parsifal excerpts plus more from Siegfried, Rheingold, and Walkure on 11 Columbia blue wax records.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274569057780 SOLD
Last edited by marcapra on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Wagner Bayreuth Festival Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal, m

Post by pallophotophone »

marcapra wrote:1928 Tristan and Isolde by Wagner on 19 Columbia Viva Tonal records from Bayreuth Festival.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274569030886

Wagner Parsifal excerpts plus more from Siegfried, Rheingold, and Walkure on 11 Columbia blue wax records.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274569057780

Contact me here for a discount. Marc.
Post Deleted

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

The Parsifal album has sold, but the Tristan and isolde albums are still available. Marc.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

marcapra wrote:The Parsifal album has sold, but the Tristan and Isolde albums are still available. Marc.
This Tristan und Isolde was pressed in two volumes in America. A deceased YouTuber (whose name shall not be repeated on this forum) has posted a video portion of what he claimed to be a three-volume set. It's the same Bayreuth performance. I'm wondering about the discrepancy between the British and American formats. I know that there was an expanded version of the third act. Was this included in the British release and not the American? Were the 19 records distributed over three albums in the UK and just two in America?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In Spain this same thing was published by our Columbia independent company, labeled Regal, and issued in 19 records in two albums, same numbers as in the british Columbia issue (L2187 to L2206). By chance I happen to find in one of our libraries the booklet adevertising that issue:
1928 02c rg tristan bayreuth.pdf
Sin título.png
Inigo

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Here in the UK, the set consisted of 20 records (forty sides) was indeed issued in three volumes.

Volume 3 consisted of 4 records L2203 to L2206. It is interesting to note that in the leaflet that Inigo has helpfully uploaded, L2203 is not mentioned. I assume that this is because side 1 of L2203 is "Tristan and Isolde - The Motives and Their Function in the Opera - Explained and Illustrated by Ernest Newman" which being in English would be of little interest to non-English speakers. A much more serious omission in the Spanish set, however, is the 2nd side of L2203 which is the orchestral Prelude to Act III. Was this included in the US issue?

Regards

Tim W-W

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I looked at the U. S. issue and it does include the Prelude to Act III on Part 32 of Vol. II. The U. S. issue on Columbia Viva Tonal records doesn't include the spoken word introduction by Ernest Newman, although that sounds interesting. I have a couple of Ernest Newman's books on opera. On my issue, the Part 1 record side has this serial number: 67484-D and the matrix is: AX3934.