What would Dame Nellie think of this?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

What would Dame Nellie think of this?

Post by epigramophone »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Melba-wind-u ... %7Ciid%3A1

This cheaply made machine is a far cry from the Edwardian Art Nouveau styled classic to which Melba gave her name. She would not have approved.
Attachments
Melba.jpg
G&T.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Re: What would Dame Nellie think of this?

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Melba-wind-u ... %7Ciid%3A1

This cheaply made machine is a far cry from the Edwardian Art Nouveau styled classic to which Melba gave her name. She would not have approved.
She would have for a guinea for each machine sold :D

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

My wife and i did a tour of Melba’s house here in Coldstream, Melbourne Australia as it’s only a 15 min drive from where we live a few years back. The rooms we were shown inside the house were pretty amazing. It was like stepping back in time. Her bedroom furniture and the drawing and dining rooms were as they were back in the early 30,s before she passed away. I said to the guide “ is there a gramophone in the house?” She said “ she had seen one but couldn’t enlighten me to what it was.
We drive past it often and I would so much like to know what it is.
Pamela the granddaughter passed away a few years back. One of her sons is still alive. The other deceased.
The tours inside were short lived so we were lucky to do it.
You can do a garden tour and it has the oldest known swimming pool in Australia.

Stephen

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I don't suppose any of Melba's cars are preserved at her property. She was known to be interested in cars, and her Stanley Steamer has survived. Here she is with a pre-1910 Daimler. The location is unknown but is probably in the UK, as in his memoirs Fred Gaisberg mentions her arriving at the recording studio in "A big Daimler".
Attachments
Melba 001.jpg
Melba 001.jpg (121.46 KiB) Viewed 619 times