Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.

Post by epigramophone »

Difficult to confirm from the poor photograph, but from the auctioneer's description this appears to be an HMV100 in Teak.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 8500e59006
Attachments
100.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.

Post by poodling around »

I noticed there are many new and better quality photographs added now.

It looks very interesting.

Is it made from oak ?

There seem to be no screws on the lid ?

The handle is gone, usually due to frequent use, but the rest of the gramophone has little sign of wear ?

Stained black ?

I am puzzled.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

The Grain is typical of Oak!

poodling around
Victor V

flying500 wrote:The Grain is typical of Oak!
Thanks flying500.

Did I read somewhere that some oak models such as this have a French connection some-how ?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The machine's record storage flap is made in three pieces to allow for expansion in tropical climates, and does not have a metal ferrule protecting the central hole. These are features found on Indian made machines. There are no expansion panels in the top or the bottom of the 100 case. These were introduced on the Teak 101.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:The machine's record storage flap is made in three pieces to allow for expansion in tropical climates, and does not have a metal ferrule protecting the central hole. These are features found on Indian made machines. There are no expansion panels in the top or the bottom of the 100 case. These were introduced on the Teak 101.
Interesting information, and an interesting gramophone.

I didn't know they were made from oak for example.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I am not convinced that the wood is oak, which is why I did not address that question in my reply. I leave that to the woodwork experts.

The machine is currently languishing on £32 with several days to go, but it is hundreds of miles from me. How frustrating!

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:I am not convinced that the wood is oak, which is why I did not address that question in my reply. I leave that to the woodwork experts.

The machine is currently languishing on £32 with several days to go, but it is hundreds of miles from me. How frustrating!
I see.

I often wonder about couriers who can collect and deliver auction goods and think - "It can't be that expensive ?". Some auctions recommend companies I think.

I guess, with this item, if it sells for £ 150 and costs £ 100 to 'courier' then £ 250 would still be a bargain ?

I may be completely wrong though ...................

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

As an occasional eBay seller I have found Hermes to be more reliable and cheaper than Royal Mail, but I have never used them to collect a purchase.

Remember that auctioneers fees are subject to a surcharge for online bidders, especially if you use an intermediary such as thesaleroom.com.
Not all auctioneers offer a packing service and those who do will charge for it, so get a quote for this as well as for the courier.

Maybe not such a bargain after all when you are buying on the strength of a few pictures.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:As an occasional eBay seller I have found Hermes to be more reliable and cheaper than Royal Mail, but I have never used them to collect a purchase.

Remember that auctioneers fees are subject to a surcharge for online bidders, especially if you use an intermediary such as thesaleroom.com.
Not all auctioneers offer a packing service and those who do will charge for it, so get a quote for this as well as for the courier.

Maybe not such a bargain after all when you are buying on the strength of a few pictures.

Oh well, I hope someone buys it who is on this forum and we hear a little more about it.