The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3596
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
Difficult to confirm from the poor photograph, but from the auctioneer's description this appears to be an HMV100 in Teak.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 8500e59006


Attachments:
100.jpg
100.jpg [ 152.45 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:09 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
floating down stream ...
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 853
Location: Made it, Ma ! Top of the world !
I noticed there are many new and better quality photographs added now.

It looks very interesting.


Is it made from oak ?

There seem to be no screws on the lid ?

The handle is gone, usually due to frequent use, but the rest of the gramophone has little sign of wear ?

Stained black ?


I am puzzled.
Sun turnin' 'round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm 
Offline
Victor O
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 am
Posts: 57
Location: Westcliff-on-Sea. UK.
The Grain is typical of Oak!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:56 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
floating down stream ...
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 853
Location: Made it, Ma ! Top of the world !
flying500 wrote:
The Grain is typical of Oak!


Thanks flying500.

Did I read somewhere that some oak models such as this have a French connection some-how ?
Sun turnin' 'round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 am 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3596
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
The machine's record storage flap is made in three pieces to allow for expansion in tropical climates, and does not have a metal ferrule protecting the central hole. These are features found on Indian made machines. There are no expansion panels in the top or the bottom of the 100 case. These were introduced on the Teak 101.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:36 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
floating down stream ...
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 853
Location: Made it, Ma ! Top of the world !
epigramophone wrote:
The machine's record storage flap is made in three pieces to allow for expansion in tropical climates, and does not have a metal ferrule protecting the central hole. These are features found on Indian made machines. There are no expansion panels in the top or the bottom of the 100 case. These were introduced on the Teak 101.


Interesting information, and an interesting gramophone.

I didn't know they were made from oak for example.
Sun turnin' 'round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:11 am 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3596
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
I am not convinced that the wood is oak, which is why I did not address that question in my reply. I leave that to the woodwork experts.

The machine is currently languishing on £32 with several days to go, but it is hundreds of miles from me. How frustrating!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
floating down stream ...
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 853
Location: Made it, Ma ! Top of the world !
epigramophone wrote:
I am not convinced that the wood is oak, which is why I did not address that question in my reply. I leave that to the woodwork experts.

The machine is currently languishing on £32 with several days to go, but it is hundreds of miles from me. How frustrating!


I see.

I often wonder about couriers who can collect and deliver auction goods and think - "It can't be that expensive ?". Some auctions recommend companies I think.

I guess, with this item, if it sells for £ 150 and costs £ 100 to 'courier' then £ 250 would still be a bargain ?

I may be completely wrong though ...................
Sun turnin' 'round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:40 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3596
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
As an occasional eBay seller I have found Hermes to be more reliable and cheaper than Royal Mail, but I have never used them to collect a purchase.

Remember that auctioneers fees are subject to a surcharge for online bidders, especially if you use an intermediary such as thesaleroom.com.
Not all auctioneers offer a packing service and those who do will charge for it, so get a quote for this as well as for the courier.

Maybe not such a bargain after all when you are buying on the strength of a few pictures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teak HMV100 coming up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:41 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
floating down stream ...
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 853
Location: Made it, Ma ! Top of the world !
epigramophone wrote:
As an occasional eBay seller I have found Hermes to be more reliable and cheaper than Royal Mail, but I have never used them to collect a purchase.

Remember that auctioneers fees are subject to a surcharge for online bidders, especially if you use an intermediary such as thesaleroom.com.
Not all auctioneers offer a packing service and those who do will charge for it, so get a quote for this as well as for the courier.

Maybe not such a bargain after all when you are buying on the strength of a few pictures.




Oh well, I hope someone buys it who is on this forum and we hear a little more about it.
Sun turnin' 'round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.