Butchered HMV511 on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Butchered HMV511 on UK eBay.

Post by Phono48 »

Very impressive restoration Alex. Well done!

Barry

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Excellent piece of work Alex, congratulations, what a result!

Your motor's on its way to you. ;)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Thanks all, I didn’t do very much in the way of in progress photos, but the bits of mahogany used were offcuts from the guitar necks, cut to 2” x 2” x 8” pieces then an angled taper was turned on the lathe, from then it was just like carving a guitar neck using a saw rasp, files and sandpaper, I turned a 1” mahogany dowel and bored a 1” hole with a brace into the base of the remaining legs and the top of the new and the dowel with plenty of glue were used to attach the new legs, final shaping with the rasp and sandpaper then a coat of wood dye and a sealer shellac coat brings it to as we see it here.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Simply amazing! I commend your restoration talents! And I like the description of your phonograph collection in your profile.
"Not Enough" I have felt that way for a long time and it doesn't go away.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Hells bells, Alex, you work quickly. That's mighty impressive.

All you need now is a few coats of nitro cellulose lacquer spray to give those new babies the authentic finish on top.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Steve wrote:Hells bells, Alex, you work quickly. That's mighty impressive.

All you need now is a few coats of nitro cellulose lacquer spray to give those new babies the authentic finish on top.
Worry not, plenty of that about, that's what I finish the guitars in

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

kirtley2012 wrote:Thanks all, I didn’t do very much in the way of in progress photos, but the bits of mahogany used were offcuts from the guitar necks, cut to 2” x 2” x 8” pieces then an angled taper was turned on the lathe, from then it was just like carving a guitar neck using a saw rasp, files and sandpaper, I turned a 1” mahogany dowel and bored a 1” hole with a brace into the base of the remaining legs and the top of the new and the dowel with plenty of glue were used to attach the new legs, final shaping with the rasp and sandpaper then a coat of wood dye and a sealer shellac coat brings it to as we see it here.
The machine aside, I'm impressed that someone of your age even knows what a "brace" is! Keep up the good work! :)

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Yeah, at my age a "brace" is something that goes on your back, or knee.

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

kirtley2012 wrote:Thanks all, I didn’t do very much in the way of in progress photos, but the bits of mahogany used were offcuts from the guitar necks, cut to 2” x 2” x 8” pieces then an angled taper was turned on the lathe, from then it was just like carving a guitar neck using a saw rasp, files and sandpaper, I turned a 1” mahogany dowel and bored a 1” hole with a brace into the base of the remaining legs and the top of the new and the dowel with plenty of glue were used to attach the new legs, final shaping with the rasp and sandpaper then a coat of wood dye and a sealer shellac coat brings it to as we see it here.
I have to acknowledge that the result is impressive. Well done!