Astonishing Royal Mail price hike some up 50%

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
soundgen
Victor V

Astonishing Royal Mail price hike some up 50%

Post by soundgen »

Just posted an item to USA expecting a postage cost of £22.87 New charge £33.21 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Astonishing Royal Mail price hike some up 50%

Post by epigramophone »

soundgen wrote:Just posted an item to USA expecting a postage cost of £22.87 New charge £33.21 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
As an occasional eBay seller I don't post outside the UK. For larger items such as portables I now use Hermes. Significantly cheaper than Royal Mail and no problems to date.

Despite their parcels business increasing by one third during lockdown, Royal Mail have announced that they will be posting a substantial loss!

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

soundgen wrote:Just posted an item to USA expecting a postage cost of £22.87 New charge £33.21 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mike , you may be interested to know why this price increase has happened. I was similarly caught out back in July , soon after the new rates were introduced ( on July 1st ). Its all to do with a dis-agreement two years ago between Donald Trump and the Universal Postal Union. The UPU was set up in Switzerland in 1874 to harmonize the delivery of foreign mail in member countries under reciprocal arrangements. The USA has been a member of the UPU since 1875 , but two years ago , Mr Trump threatened to pull America out of the union as he thought China had an unfair advantage with the UPU. The upshot was that a deal was struck with the Trump administration that America ( actually the USPS ) could set its own rates for what is known as the " last mile of delivery " for foreign mail. This has had an impact on what Royal Mail has to pay the USPS per item delivered , which since July 1st has seen a five fold increase in cost to Royal Mail. Together with restrictions on flights across the Atlantic , Royal Mail have naturally had no option but to increase their prices for stuff going to USA , which is now a separate charging zone within the Royal mail pricing structure ( World Zone 3 ). Added to which our American friends are now being charged a sales tax by most of the states , which ebay is illegally collecting from US buyers when they are buying from sellers in foreign countries -- I say illegal because the onus to charge the sales tax is on the seller -- but sellers in foreign countries ( e.g. UK ) are NOT governed by US law !! Its another nail in the coffin I'm afraid
for US buyers purchasing from foreign sellers.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Dulcetto wrote:
Mike , you may be interested to know why this price increase has happened. I was similarly caught out back in July , soon after the new rates were introduced ( on July 1st ). Its all to do with a dis-agreement two years ago between Donald Trump and the Universal Postal Union. The UPU was set up in Switzerland in 1874 to harmonize the delivery of foreign mail in member countries under reciprocal arrangements. The USA has been a member of the UPU since 1875 , but two years ago , Mr Trump threatened to pull America out of the union as he thought China had an unfair advantage with the UPU. The upshot was that a deal was struck with the Trump administration that America ( actually the USPS ) could set its own rates for what is known as the " last mile of delivery " for foreign mail. This has had an impact on what Royal Mail has to pay the USPS per item delivered , which since July 1st has seen a five fold increase in cost to Royal Mail. Together with restrictions on flights across the Atlantic , Royal Mail have naturally had no option but to increase their prices for stuff going to USA , which is now a separate charging zone within the Royal mail pricing structure ( World Zone 3 ). Added to which our American friends are now being charged a sales tax by most of the states , which ebay is illegally collecting from US buyers when they are buying from sellers in foreign countries -- I say illegal because the onus to charge the sales tax is on the seller -- but sellers in foreign countries ( e.g. UK ) are NOT governed by US law !! Its another nail in the coffin I'm afraid
for US buyers purchasing from foreign sellers.
Ah. I wondered why shipping costs for small items from the UK suddenly went stupid. The source of the issue isn't surprising, either. No idea what this so- called "successful businessperson" was or is thinking. :roll:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I’m not going to chime in on the political aspects of this, as last time I did so was severely chastised for a minor oblique reference to the obvious.

But I will say that I have declared a moratorium on USPS shipments as they, and post offices around the world, are simply too slow and unreliable while the COVID pandemic rages.

Raphael

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Further increase in Royal Mail international prices for World Zone 1 and 2 since Sept. 1st. European pricing has also increased , but only by pennies. The biggest hike is for World zone 2 ( Australia etc ) which sees an increase of 9 GBP added to the cost of sending a 2 kg small parcel ( tracked and signed ). 2 Kg to Australia now costs 32 GBP !!

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Dulcetto wrote:Further increase in Royal Mail international prices for World Zone 1 and 2 since Sept. 1st. European pricing has also increased , but only by pennies. The biggest hike is for World zone 2 ( Australia etc ) which sees an increase of 9 GBP added to the cost of sending a 2 kg small parcel ( tracked and signed ). 2 Kg to Australia now costs 32 GBP !!

gone down slightly in January update still £28.55 unsigned