eBay is now managing payments

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
soundgen
Victor VI

eBay is now managing payments

Post by soundgen »

eBay is now managing paymentsBy the end of 2020, eBay will manage payments for most sellers. Get your business ready and register now. We’ll notify you before activating your account for managed payments.By the end of 2020, eBay will manage payments for most sellers. Get your business ready and register now. We’ll notify you before activating your account for managed payments. Running your business is simple when eBay manages your payments, and buyers have new ways to pay. It's simple to get paid with automatic payouts sent directly to your bank account, and simple to manage with simplified fees, integrated reporting and direct support.

Easier ? no it isn't as even if someone pays by PayPal Ebay take the payment and later transfer it to you causing you to incur bank fees :cry:

so what happens if you don't want to join in this eBay accountfest ? The Ebay fascists stop you listing new items ! Doh ! so now I cannot list new items as soundgen :cry:

so my soundgen's listings are capped

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/soundgen/m.h ... 7675.l2562

So I now list also as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mostapt/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/acdforucouk/ ... 7675.l2562

So please save my new selling avatars :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: eBay is now managing payments

Post by gramophone-georg »

Good luck with the workaround- it won't last long. ;)

Funny how eBay can't even manage their own interface, but they want to manage our money.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Actually, except for the slight delay in receiving the funds, I like the system. To begin with, the results, so far, have resulted in higher net payouts to me.

Another additional benefit, not immediately apparent, is that in case of a return or cancellation, the seller does not have to eat the PayPal fees. eBay will simply take back the net money the seller received.

Raphael

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Raphael wrote:Actually, except for the slight delay in receiving the funds, I like the system. To begin with, the results, so far, have resulted in higher net payouts to me.

Another additional benefit, not immediately apparent, is that in case of a return or cancellation, the seller does not have to eat the PayPal fees. eBay will simply take back the net money the seller received.

Raphael
It sucks for sellers who tend to sell multiple items to the same buyer. For example, if I run a record auction and the same buyer wins 20, I pay a fee on each item. Previously, with PayPal, it was a fee per transaction- e.g., if I do a combined invoice for that buyer it's a single fee with PayPal, but with Ayden "mangled payments" it's 20 fees.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Yes, there are pros and cons depending on the type and volume of sales.

Raphael

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have not heard from eBay about this, so can I assume that it will not apply to occasional private sellers like myself?

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I wouldn’t count on it. The system is being rolled out in stages, probably because they can’t do it all at once. Eventually they will get to everybody.

Raphael

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:I have not heard from eBay about this, so can I assume that it will not apply to occasional private sellers like myself?

For the moment yes but who knows the future ? they are a nightmare you used to be able to email sellers directly for 14 days after a sale but now the email is replaced with eBay's code and they automatically scan all user / user Ebay messages to stop you letting people contact directly

catfishjohn
Victor O

Post by catfishjohn »

I sell on eBay as "Amazingjohntar" and was just required to switch to managed payments. I don't like eBay's fee structure. Its a bit convoluted and confusing. Lately I have been listing on Facebook marketplace as well. They recently set up a shipping program. They are not as mature as eBay and need to work out the kinks, but they are steadily making improvements. I have been selling very well on Facebook without an issue yet. For some items I have seen a big improvement over eBay and I am getting way more views. For now Facebook is free, but starting in January they will begin charging 5% if you use the shipping service. I calculate my eBay fees to be about 20% so its a noticeable improvement. They both have their pros can cons and I will continue to use both, but I'm glad Ebay has some decent competition. Hopefully that will lead to lower fees and better service.

Facebook is also a great alternative to Craigslist. If you are using the "local pickup" option Facebook is free and you do not get near as many scammers as Craigslist. Craigslist has been overrun with scammers for quite some time.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 pm Good luck with the workaround- it won't last long. ;)

Funny how eBay can't even manage their own interface, but they want to manage our money.
How right you were ! i have had to capitulate , couldn't list new items or relist items or alter items so now accept their managed payments , but Ebay sucks as they say they don't earn interest on payments but they take two to 3 days to pay you and if people pay with some cards it's even longer ! With Paypal you got your money immediately . and what is in it for Ebay ? Ebay total sales are $37 billion , that's $100 million a day and they now get to keep that for 1 2 or more days at a time , Their take from that is $8.6 billion ! that's $720 million a month so now they get that $720 M a month before they used to ! Sucks or what ?