Expert 2-Spring soundbox on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Expert 2-Spring soundbox on UK eBay.

Post by epigramophone »

No box, no fitting instructions and in need of a rebuild, but the seller is asking £1250 for it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMG-EXPERT-G ... %7Ciid%3A8
Attachments
Expert.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Expert 2-Spring soundbox on UK eBay.

Post by kirtley2012 »

Mint and complete and re-built 4 spring money, on a very good day, for a tatty 2 spring, also something about the stylus bar seemed odd to me, it's drilled and tapped, as though to accept exhibition soundbox springs, I'd saw it before and wondered if it's been tampered with

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

It looks as though there's a poor attempt at repairing some damage to the diaphragm at 4 o'clock position?

Probably one of those where the seller wouldn't take anyone's word that it's worth no where near that much

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Whilst the other large/late EMG and Expert soundboxes have sometimes topped £1000, I've never seen one of these go for more than £500 or so (although that's not to say they might not attain more) - but this one's seriously compromised as others have said. I've noticed that this seller repeatedly lists items at very high prices.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The stylus bar certainly looks unusual. I don't think I have ever seen an aluminum chuck like that before either. Has anyone else?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I don't know a bunch about EMG reproducers, but I do know an Exhibition needle bar when I see one. I can't however explain the needle chuck.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

Yes, I noticed those two holes on the stylus pole like you see on the Exhibition model. I have two Expert soundboxes with two springs, which have two holes like this. Another one I have has 4 springs without any holes on the stylus pole. Obviously those two holes of the Expert Soundbox don't play any functional parts for playing records.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Watanabehi wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 am Yes, I noticed those two holes on the stylus pole like you see on the Exhibition model. I have two Expert soundboxes with two springs, which have two holes like this. Another one I have has 4 springs without any holes on the stylus pole. Obviously those two holes of the Expert Soundbox don't play any functional parts for playing records.
Do yours have an 'aluminum chuck' - (as mentioned in a previous comment above) please, I wonder ?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

poodling around wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:15 pm
Watanabehi wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 am Yes, I noticed those two holes on the stylus pole like you see on the Exhibition model. I have two Expert soundboxes with two springs, which have two holes like this. Another one I have has 4 springs without any holes on the stylus pole. Obviously those two holes of the Expert Soundbox don't play any functional parts for playing records.
Do yours have an 'aluminum chuck' as well- (as mentioned in a previous comment above) please, I wonder ?

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

Yes, my both two-spring EMGinn Expert soundboxes have aluminum triangular needle sockets like the one on ebay, if I understand what you mean.