Expert Audio-Player for auction in UK.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Expert Audio-Player for auction in UK.

Post by epigramophone »

The Audio-Player was not one of Expert's better efforts, but this example appears to be in excellent condition complete with it's original stand.
To the auctioneer's eye watering 34.8% fees must be added the cost of collection from Glasgow.
One for the EMG/Expert collector who must have every model they made.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... e700d1576e
Attachments
audio player.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Expert Audio-Player for auction in UK.

Post by Inigo »

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I've only knew of this model by the Bible of Francis James... Good bless him!
Inigo

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I spotted that the other day, I'm looking into adding it to my collection here, it is a similar light finish to my Junior and Senior and it is pretty near to me here in Newcastle, that haven't got the sound of the larger ones, in fact one of the smaller HMV's like the 157 would likely win out by a stretch , but I would be halfway to the full Expert lineup so I am hoping to give it a home.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

An interesting looking EMG. Very different.

Does anyone know the model number I wonder ?

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

poodling around wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 am An interesting looking EMG. Very different.

Experts don't have mark numbers like EMG's instead they have names, Junior, senior, minor etc., this one was advertised as the 'Audio Player' really Ginn was using up experimental horns that Percy Wilson had a part in designing, simple horns, not very long and I don't believe saw any success, so Ginn got them cheap and made the Audio player, they strike me as a bit of a catalogue filler, but they were a part of the company history

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:19 am
poodling around wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 am An interesting looking EMG. Very different.

Experts don't have mark numbers like EMG's instead they have names, Junior, senior, minor etc., this one was advertised as the 'Audio Player' really Ginn was using up experimental horns that Percy Wilson had a part in designing, simple horns, not very long and I don't believe saw any success, so Ginn got them cheap and made the Audio player, they strike me as a bit of a catalogue filler, but they were a part of the company history
I see. Most interesting.

Thank you very much Kirtley2012.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Sold for £5,500, not to me, I didn't want one that much!, shows it was a fine example though.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

£5,500 was the hammer price---the buyer had to pay around £7,000 depending upon the method of bidding.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:47 am ... in fact one of the smaller HMV's like the 157 would likely win out by a stretch ....
Capture.JPG
FROM:http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/expert- ... layer.html

Looking at the boxy looking double horns, I'd imagine that the lowly Victor Consolette (4-3) would also give it a run for its money!

OrthoFan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The horn was not unlike the bifurcated Columbia Viva-Tonal design of 1926, which only lasted for two years before being replaced by the Plano-Reflex.
In his book, Frank James did not have a good word to say about the Audio-Player. I suspect that the only reason anyone would pay that much for one would be to complete a collection of Expert machines. For the same money they might have been able to find an Expert Senior.
Attachments
Image.jpg