Anyone know fonofan?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
emerson
Victor III

Anyone know fonofan?

Post by emerson »

So, on Ebay a 9" Emerson record, seller says looks like it has never been played----well it never will be played because he sent it in a vinyl record mailer and it arrived broken. In his description--says things are packed well and with a name like fonofan--- I let my guard down, thinking no problems here. Well another life lesson learned---don't take things for granted.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Anyone know fonofan?

Post by PeterF »

Oh no!

I just bought a 12” shellac record from him. It’s in transit. I sent him packing instructions, three times, with no acknowledgement other than a threatening reminder to pay.

Supposed to be here Monday, which means a slow method with more handoffs. I’ll let you know how finely powdered it is upon arrival.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok, my record arrived today, packed reasonably well, and intact. It was a single 12” Victor scroll, and he sleeved it, sandwiched it between two 12” squares of corrugated cardboard, and put that in a 12” flat cardboard LP mailer box, total thickness maybe 1” - usually good enough unless it gets compressed or bent at all. It did have the word “fragile” written on it.

He’s in a place called Surprise, Arizona.

I wrote three different times about my packing concerns, and giving detailed instructions the last two of those times. I got zero response from him. There was no communication from him of any kind other than a vaguely threatening “reminder to pay” form letter from eBay. I generally wait to get an acknowledgment from the seller on the packing before payment, because it’s the only leverage a buyer has.

So it’s seeming like the guy “kind of” knows what to do, but isn’t really too interested in the overall process.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok, my record arrived today, packed reasonably well, and intact. It was a single 12” Victor scroll, and he sleeved it, sandwiched it between two 12” squares of corrugated cardboard, and put that in a 12” flat cardboard LP mailer box, total thickness maybe 1” - usually good enough unless it gets compressed or bent at all. It did have the word “fragile” written on it.

He’s in a place called Surprise, Arizona.

I wrote three different times about my packing concerns, and giving detailed instructions the last two of those times. I got zero response from him. There was no communication from him of any kind other than a vaguely threatening “reminder to pay” form letter from eBay. I generally wait to get an acknowledgment from the seller on the packing before payment, because it’s the only leverage a buyer has.

So it’s seeming like the guy “kind of” knows what to do, but isn’t really too interested in the overall process.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

emerson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:21 pm So, on Ebay a 9" Emerson record, seller says looks like it has never been played----well it never will be played because he sent it in a vinyl record mailer and it arrived broken. In his description--says things are packed well and with a name like fonofan--- I let my guard down, thinking no problems here. Well another life lesson learned---don't take things for granted.
Have you given him a chance to "make it right"? It's best to do that before airing the issue here.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Hello Jerry, I joined Ebay in the very early days and they Thanked me for that. Since then I have received records broken by sellers way to often. I now nine times out of ten message sellers and say---Have you ever shipped fragile shellac records before? They need to be shipped in a good size box, between 2 pieces of cardboard, and surrounded by a cushioning material for protection ----I hate to see a record that has survived for 100 years broken due to lack of packing knowledge. I have said in the past to sellers that didn't know how to ship---that I would not leave negative feedback for them---if they follow the right way to keep any record regardless of age safe from being broken. When they say they will---I give them the benefit of the doubt that they do what is right and will not leave negative feedback------we all make mistakes and need to learn how to do the right thing the right way. Thanks for your concern.