Interesting but anonymous machine.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Interesting but anonymous machine.

Post by Curt A »

"What is the purpose of the part (as shown by Curt) with the finger joints?, Does it conceal part of the horn (if so, why is it off-center) or is it a separate box or tray?"

I wondered the same thing, until I gave it another look. I think it was made to enclose and hide the motor.
Whoever built it was not familiar with upright phono cabinet construction and imagined the design as he went. It really is nice construction, but not typical for phonographs, which would be reflected in its eccentric features. The legs don't match the cabinet style or wood and look like they may have been reclaimed from a '60s living room chair. Also the use of phillips head screws indicate modern construction.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Interesting but anonymous machine.

Post by jamiegramo »

Curt A wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:29 pm "What is the purpose of the part (as shown by Curt) with the finger joints?, Does it conceal part of the horn (if so, why is it off-center) or is it a separate box or tray?"

I wondered the same thing, until I gave it another look. I think it was made to enclose and hide the motor.
Whoever built it was not familiar with upright phono cabinet construction and imagined the design as he went. It really is nice construction, but not typical for phonographs, which would be reflected in its eccentric features. The legs don't match the cabinet style or wood and look like they may have been reclaimed from a '60s living room chair. Also the use of phillips head screws indicate modern construction.
Yes you must be right the box with finger joints is made to enclose the motor.

It also occurred to me that the Queen Anne or Cabriole legs are anachronistic with this style of Jacobean panelled cabinet. If the machine is old they could well be replaced... infact from a 60s living room chair.

So made by a proficient cabinet maker unfamiliar with phono cabinet construction but when? And if recently why?