Were these 4-7s ever sold this way or is this a "repair"?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Were these 4-7s ever sold this way or is this a "repair"?

Post by Dischoard »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 504343108/
VV 4-7.jpeg
This is definitely an orthophonic 4-7 machine but with a regular Victrola tone-arm. Just a previous repair? I mean, these couldn't possibly
have been sold this way could they? I have to imagine the geometry is all off for this...

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Were these 4-7s ever sold this way or is this a "repair"?

Post by Skihawx »

One way to fix a broken pot metal back bracket is to install a later Victor tone arm.
Definitely a recent repair.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

As Skihawx noted, this is a later replacement, probably done because the original tonearm support and perhaps sound box were damaged due to pot metal issues.

Interestingly, though, one of the Orthophonic style cabinets WAS fitted with the old style components, the VV-4-1 -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-1.htm -- which was an export model.

I see the seller wants $500, which is a "tad" optimistic, even though the cabinet looks to be in very good condition, though god only knows what the top of the lid looks like :roll: .

OrthoFan

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

The cabinet also had small "bun" feet, which appear to have been lopped off on this one. Those feet were assembled in sections and were prone to coming apart. I have a Consolette with feet identical to the one in your picture.

Also, that earlier style tonearm and reproducer would be way "off the mark," would it not regarding tracking compliance?

I've owned a 4-7 and they are nice little machines. However, frankly I didn't think the one I had sounded any better than my Consolette -- folded horn notwithstanding. It's certainly no Credenza or even an 8-4. It is what it is: Just a neat Ortho machine in a tiny package.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

The Consolette that I picked up had all the bits to the feet missing. After clearing it out I found them all neatly tucked away in a ziplock inside the cabinet. Now I just have to figure out which ones go where and start the process of giving the old girl her shoes back!