Breker Auction

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
CarlosV
Victor IV

Breker Auction

Post by CarlosV »

Upcoming auction, they are located in Koln. Some interesting machines, including some that look familiar. Around 23% premium, so think twice before bidding!

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog ... ys/?page=1

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Breker Auction

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I wonder what motivated someone to cut open the back of the case on the Columbia N? Display window to show the motor?
Attachments
100749359_3_x.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

TinfoilPhono wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 pm I wonder what motivated someone to cut open the back of the case on the Columbia N? Display window to show the motor?
It looks very 'neat' and professionally done maybe.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It's easier to lubricate with the hole in back, unless it has a glass insert... but who knows why people do the things they do...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Looks like some very nice phonographs on the other side of the pond.

gstone
Victor O
Personal Text: Redson68

Post by gstone »

If one were to buy a phonograph from this auction, any ideas on how to ship it back to the US??

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gstone wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm If one were to buy a phonograph from this auction, any ideas on how to ship it back to the US??
I'm sure the Breker people can answer that.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:17 pm
gstone wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm If one were to buy a phonograph from this auction, any ideas on how to ship it back to the US??
I'm sure the Breker people can answer that.
I bought from them before, but had to drive to Koln to pick the gramophone. They don't ship nor pack. If you send them an email they may refer to a third party to do the job, but at the time - that was some five years ago - they simply told me I had to go pick it up in their warehouse, no shipping alternatives available.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I live in Munich. I can help for a fee. :D

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I followed the auction on line yesterday. I even planned to bid on a couple of items but the prices were incredibly high for everything that sold. There were a couple of items that did not sell, I recall a large cabinet machine, but otherwise even trite lots like 50's East German record lots that cannot find takers even for free fetched surreal prices like 10 euro a piece. Machines that are relatively common like Monarchs that looked in so-so condition with wrong soundboxes and horns reached 1500-2000 euro levels. Same with generic brandless German machines that don't get more than 300 euros in good condition were sold for more than 1500 euros. Not to mention some obvious frankenphones that reached more than 1000 euros. Naturally there were the Comedian Harmonists records, sold in 25-record lots and reaching more than 1000 Euro each lot or 40 euro a piece - not really surprising, Comedian Harmonists records, although far from rare, became a fetish among German collectors. The general high prices reached (not to mention the 23% premium), however, make me wonder.
Last edited by CarlosV on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.