Rare Miniature Original HMV Wind Up Gramophone

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Rare Miniature Original HMV Wind Up Gramophone

Post by poodling around »

This sounds potentially very interesting indeed.

I would like to have seen a few more photo's showing the speed control etc.

Does anyone know any information or have opinions about it ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Miniatu ... SwF1lgfehs
Attachments
hmv.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Rare Miniature Original HMV Wind Up Gramophone

Post by jamiegramo »

mmmmm well it looks to me like the lid has been cut down from an HMV 130 or 145. Also other parts and woodwork from one of these machines. Whilst the seller acknowledges the soundbox isn’t ‘original’, the tonearm is not HMV, not even it appears from a model 99. The lack of sufficient photos (brake, speed control, mentioned but not shown) may help to conceal the fact that this is not an item that ever left the Gramophone Co. factory.

poodling around
Victor V

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 pm mmmmm well it looks to me like the lid has been cut down from an HMV 130 or 145. Also other parts and woodwork from one of these machines. Whilst the seller acknowledges the soundbox isn’t ‘original’, the tonearm is not HMV, not even it appears from a model 99. The lack of sufficient photos (brake, speed control, mentioned but not shown) may help to conceal the fact that this is not an item that ever left the Gramophone Co. factory.
Very interesting.

Thanks as always jamiegramo.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My feeling is that this was made for a child by a gifted amateur. The ivorine dealer's plaque was probably added to give it authenticity, but the term "Phonograph and Cycle Dealer" would already have been out of date by the late 1920's.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 am My feeling is that this was made for a child by a gifted amateur. The ivorine dealer's plaque was probably added to give it authenticity, but the term "Phonograph and Cycle Dealer" would already have been out of date by the late 1920's.
Very interesting.

You know, the more I think about it the more I think I have seen this gramophone some-where before ......................... :?: