Rare crocodile grey HMV 101 ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Rare crocodile grey HMV 101 ?

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 amI hope someone here gets it.
I did! That completes my trio of "crocodile" versions. Now to find a way of making a convincing carrying handle!

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm
epigramophone wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 amI hope someone here gets it.
I did! That completes my trio of "crocodile" versions. Now to find a way of making a convincing carrying handle!

Barry
Brilliant !

It seems to me to have been a very good bargain - I thought that it would have sold for substantially more.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Its the PLAIN grey version which is the rarest 101, not the crocodile version! The latter was one of the first alongside the blue and brown croc versions to exist as part of the deluxe range. Consequently they were in catalogue for some time. In stark contrast to these, the plain grey and brown (milk chocolate) colours were later additions which were quickly discontinued, hence their relative scarcity.

IIRC the grey 101 sold less than 1000 units!

It amused me to see a plain grey 101 languish for weeks on Ebay at £150 when the croc version raced past it in a week.

I had contact with the vendor who wasn't especially co-operative or helpful when I asked for photos showing the other sides of the case. He replied that the condition was the same as those parts shown. Let's hope so for Barry's sake.

Let us know how you make a convincing strap. That was puzzling me and if I'm honest, the main reason I passed on it myself.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 pm Its the PLAIN grey version which is the rarest 101, not the crocodile version! The latter was one of the first alongside the blue and brown croc versions to exist as part of the deluxe range. Consequently they were in catalogue for some time. In stark contrast to these, the plain grey and brown (milk chocolate) colours were later additions which were quickly discontinued, hence their relative scarcity.

It amused me to see a plain grey 101 languish for weeks on Ebay at £150 when the croc version raced past it in a week.

I had contact with the vendor who wasn't especially co-operative or helpful when I asked for photos showing the other sides of the case. He replied that the condition was the same as those parts shown. Let's hope so for Barry's sake.

Let us know how you make a convincing strap. That was puzzling me and if I'm honest, the main reason I passed on it myself.
Is this one ? It 'popped up' at what seemed a very good price (I don't collect 'colours' so didn't buy it) and it was sold within a few minutes.

Maybe I should have bought it as an investment ? I have seen many black HMV 101's sell for considerably more than £ 90.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hmv-101-gram ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
grey.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:38 am
Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 pm Its the PLAIN grey version which is the rarest 101, not the crocodile version! The latter was one of the first alongside the blue and brown croc versions to exist as part of the deluxe range. Consequently they were in catalogue for some time. In stark contrast to these, the plain grey and brown (milk chocolate) colours were later additions which were quickly discontinued, hence their relative scarcity.

Is this one ? It 'popped up' at what seemed a very good price (I don't collect 'colours' so didn't buy it) and it was sold within a few minutes.

Maybe I should have bought it as an investment ? I have seen many black HMV 101's sell for considerably more than £ 90.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hmv-101-gram ... 7675.l2557

Yes, that one but don't be fooled, it didn't sell within minutes, it was for sale for months at a much higher price. The vendor bought it from another Ebay seller last year for £120 so he's just lost £30 plus travelling time / costs and Ebay fees!

I saw it last year and like so many Ebay sellers the then vendors didn't show any pictures of the case, just six identical photos of the inside. Why do people insist on doing that? Its become a chore having to request photos of the case for every auction because bizarrely no one thinks the condition of the case is important!

Anyway, when I received photos I noticed the ugly area of worn colour on the side usually set down on the floor. Its been stained and someone has over zealously attempted to eradicate it only causing the grey to be lost. I guess this is why its been a very tough sell and the current vendor decided to cash his chips in and take a hit.

So please bear in mind in accordance with comments I've made elsewhere that condition determines the price and £90 in no way reflects the true value of the grey 101 in good condition.