Two EMG's etc

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Oedipus
Victor II

Re: Two EMG's etc

Post by Oedipus »

Yes, the Mark X has obviously been fitted with an HMV motor (so obviously, I wonder why the auctioneers seem to doubt it?), and I'd say the motor board is original EMG.

But what a shame that the original (and rare) horn has been replaced. Dr Roland obviously already had a XB -- why would he want another? Perhaps he had ideas of stereophony?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I wonder, are EMG's supposed to be played with their lids open or closed.

Most of the videos I see have the lid open but some have it closed ........................................

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The general rule is, if a machine is capable of being played with the lid closed, close it. This minimises any needle chatter which is a problem with some soundboxes.
HMV were aware of this with the 5a/5b soundboxes, hence the "Close lid whilst playing" transfer inside the lids of their later cabinet and table models. This instruction does not appear on their earlier machines.

Many people who film their machines leave their lids open, because the viewers like to see them working.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:10 am The general rule is, if a machine is capable of being played with the lid closed, close it. This minimises any needle chatter which is a problem with some soundboxes.
HMV were aware of this with the 5a/5b soundboxes, hence the "Close lid whilst playing" transfer inside the lids of their later cabinet and table models. This instruction does not appear on their earlier machines.

Many people who film their machines leave their lids open, because the viewers like to see them working.
Aha ! Thank you as always epigramophone.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

There was extremely strong bidding on these!

The EMG Mk Xb Export made a hammer price of £9,400 - total £11,838 including fees.

The EMG Mk X with Xb horn (and re-motored) made £5,800 - total £7,305.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?