Re: Two EMG's etc

Post by soundgen »

And much more , !! Opera , columbia coin op , Trademark machines , Klingsor etc

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/view ... 226?page=8

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:08 am And much more , !! Opera , columbia coin op , Trademark machines , Klingsor etc

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/view ... 226?page=8
Oh yes, there is certainly a very wide selection of different models.

Maybe a very good opportunity to buy something.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I would be interested in the Edison Opera, but for such a major purchase (Est.£3000/£5000 plus fees) I would want to view and test it in person. This auction is internet only and I am not prepared to rely on a condition report.
Even in normal circumstances, viewing would involve a 400 mile round trip with another trip to collect if successful.
That is a lot of driving for a 73 year old.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

There is viewing on Monday 10th May but it is by appointment only.

I have requested an appointment to view but I don't expect to hear back until Tuesday at the earliest. I'm not in the market for an Opera myself (I'm lucky enough to own one already ) but would you, Epigramophone, like me to have a look at it and let you know what I think, if I can get to a viewing?

Obviously it would only be my non-expert opinion.

All the best

Tim W-W

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:20 am I would be interested in the Edison Opera, but for such a major purchase (Est.£3000/£5000 plus fees) I would want to view and test it in person. This auction is internet only and I am not prepared to rely on a condition report.
Even in normal circumstances, viewing would involve a 400 mile round trip with another trip to collect if successful.
That is a lot of driving for a 73 year old.
I see, it is a very long way, as you say.

I listened to the youtube videos for the Mk x and mk x b EMG's and thought the mkx b sounded far superior. The mk x sounded a bit 'piercing' and 'shrill' I thought. I would probably have a headache listening to that within just a few minutes. There are many variables I suppose but interesting to hear them.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I think you may find that the soundboxes need tuning in both cases as the only real performance difference between any externally-horned EMG relates to the bell-mouth diameter---the larger the final diameter, the greater the bass response. The exponential curve is the same in all cases with the exception of the Wilson-horned models---Mk VIII etc. Both of these are 29 ½" Xb horns so should sound identical. I suppose, in scientific theory, because the tonearms are different---one is goose-neck and the other swan-neck---there could be a variation but, in practice, and in my humble opinion, the human ear cannot differentiate between the two. Sound reproduction should be superb in both cases. It is essential when making comparisons to ensure that like is being compared with like---same soundbox, same needle, same extension, same angle, same record, same speed etc. It is many years since there has been a public offering of a Xb EMG so the buyer(s) of these fine instruments with four-spring soundboxes will be very lucky and happy people indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oHBwf41MYg Mk X with Xb horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQw67KvuQnU Mk Xb with "Export" horn.

Interestingly, an article in the Antiques Trade Gazette of 27th March 2021 included a photograph of the Mk X with its original 26" horn. There are now very few such horns in existance in complete form since most broke their backs due to poor structural design.
Attachments
Partridge Auctions May 2021 (5).JPG
Partridge Auctions May 2021 (5).JPG (52.04 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Norman Roland
Norman Roland
Last edited by emgcr on Sun May 02, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Wagnerian wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 am There is viewing on Monday 10th May but it is by appointment only.

I have requested an appointment to view but I don't expect to hear back until Tuesday at the earliest. I'm not in the market for an Opera myself (I'm lucky enough to own one already ) but would you, Epigramophone, like me to have a look at it and let you know what I think, if I can get to a viewing?

Obviously it would only be my non-expert opinion.

All the best

Tim W-W
Many thanks for this kind offer Tim. PM sent.

Roger.

poodling around
Victor V

emgcr wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 am I think you may find that the soundboxes need tuning in both cases as the only real performance difference between any externally-horned EMG relates to the bell-mouth diameter---the larger the final diameter, the greater the bass response. The exponential curve is the same in all cases with the exception of the Wilson-horned models---Mk VIII etc. Both of these are 29 ½" Xb horns so should sound identical. I suppose, in scientific theory, because the tonearms are different---one is goose-neck and the other swan-neck---there could be a variation but, in practice, and in my humble opinion, the human ear cannot differentiate between the two. Sound reproduction should be superb in both cases. It is essential when making comparisons to ensure that like is being compared with like---same soundbox, same needle, same extension, same angle, same record, same speed etc. It is many years since there has been a public offering of a Xb EMG so the buyer(s) of these fine instruments with four-spring soundboxes will be very lucky and happy people indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oHBwf41MYg Mk X with Xb horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQw67KvuQnU Mk Xb with "Export" horn.

Interestingly, an article in the Antiques Trade Gazette of 27th March 2021 included a photograph of the Mk X with its original 26" horn. There are now very few such horns in existance in complete form since most broke their backs due to poor structural design.
Very interesting indeed. Great photographs too !

I agree that who-ever is successful will be very lucky indeed. EMG's are certainly something VERY special indeed !

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

They do look like fine machines, I've been very lucky in my short time to acquire 4 Ginn machines (well, 3 ½) so although I would, in time, like one of the larger models, my desire is subdued or distracted, which is lucky for my wallet, like has been said, its a rare opportunity, but I anticipate the price will reflect that and the estimate shall be left in the dust.

It does seem as though the mk X has been fitted with either a HMV 32 or 34 motor, it's hard to see if the motorboard is one of a HMV cut to fit the EMG or the original fitted with a HMV motor, I suspect the former could be the case