OT: Ornate Sparton Radio $200 (MA)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JPow
Victor O

OT: Ornate Sparton Radio $200 (MA)

Post by JPow »

OT: Any antique radio collectors in the New England area? I've always liked these ornate Sparton floor models (but don't have the room for one myself). $200 seems like a great price for someone. Not my listing.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 5852527246
Attachments
sparton.jpg

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: OT: Ornate Sparton Radio $200 (MA)

Post by pallophotophone »

I believe this to be one of Sparton's Equisonne line. A very fine receiver and easily worth $200.00. Especially after a little elbow grease on the case and a proper restoration of the electronics. If I had room for it and it was in Syracuse NY it would be in my house right now.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: OT: Ornate Sparton Radio $200 (MA)

Post by CharliePhono »

Yes, if complete, that is a very good buy. Heck, I bought one of these back in the mid-90s and paid $500 for it. It was fully functional, but it's not for everyone and it ends up being the focal point in whatever space it is placed, owing to the sheer size and ornamentation of the case. If I recall correctly, the chassis on mine had two type 81 balloon tubes, and I learned that even though those tubes are quite valuable and maybe even difficult to find nowadays. The Equasonne wasn't terribly "spartan" in the design of some of those cases!