Post by soundgen »

Attachments
aemg.jpg
aemg.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 1635 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: EMG Cheltenham

Post by Orchorsol »

Yes, an Expert Senior (not Junior as the auctioneers say) and the rare pedestal model. It will be fascinating to see what it sells for!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If recent sales results are anything to go by, only those with very deep pockets need apply.
Is this a known machine in the EMG/Expert world or a new discovery?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Don't tell me, an auction estimate of £200-400?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

epigramophone wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:51 pm Is this a known machine in the EMG/Expert world or a new discovery?
Not one I have come across before. The rarest of the rare and will probably go for a high price in spite of the massive commission costs. It would be good to know about the soundbox and its condition.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

The auction guy posted a question about this machine on another forum. I replied to the thread, and I told him EXACTLY what it is. Maybe he never bothered to look at the forum again. :squirrel:
Best regards ... AZ*

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

So good to see these rare beasts still turning up.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I can thank my friend Roger for sending me the link to this machine. I have looked through a powerful glass, and can see it is a little war weary-probably from storage perhaps. I am not sure if I can see an oblong ivorine label on the bottom of the lid at thew back. My Expert has one of those, and is a very late post war model I have been told. Perhaps this is a late model. Nice cabinet, but certainly not space saving" The white square box on the board -does it contain a dozen soundboxes or whatever......??
Good to see another Senior-hopefully being bought by someone who will enjoy listening to it, and not just to having it in their "mansion" as a "prop"

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

old country chemist wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:57 pm I can thank my friend Roger for sending me the link to this machine. I have looked through a powerful glass, and can see it is a little war weary-probably from storage perhaps. I am not sure if I can see an oblong ivorine label on the bottom of the lid at thew back. My Expert has one of those, and is a very late post war model I have been told. Perhaps this is a late model. Nice cabinet, but certainly not space saving" The white square box on the board -does it contain a dozen soundboxes or whatever......??
Good to see another Senior-hopefully being bought by someone who will enjoy listening to it, and not just to having it in their "mansion" as a "prop"
I think you make an interesting point. I am beginning to wonder if EMG's are now being bought by 'investment speculators' rather than gramophone lovers, as such.

Maybe just my imagination ?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

poodling around wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm
old country chemist wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:57 pm I can thank my friend Roger for sending me the link to this machine. I have looked through a powerful glass, and can see it is a little war weary-probably from storage perhaps. I am not sure if I can see an oblong ivorine label on the bottom of the lid at thew back. My Expert has one of those, and is a very late post war model I have been told. Perhaps this is a late model. Nice cabinet, but certainly not space saving" The white square box on the board -does it contain a dozen soundboxes or whatever......??
I think you make an interesting point. I am beginning to wonder if EMG's are now being bought by 'investment speculators' rather than gramophone lovers, as such.

Maybe just my imagination ?
That's not the case with all the UK EMG/Expert enthusiasts I know, several of whom are lucky enough to have multiple examples like myself - we enjoy them on a daily basis! Speaking personally I wouldn't view one bought now at top market value as a sound investment relative to inflation...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?