eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS !

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms MAKES THE NEWS !

Post by Raphael »

This subject has been discussed on the TMF a number of times on various threads.

I agree that setting up a dedicated bank account for eBay sales and maintaining a minimal balance is a safe way to proceed. Keep in mind, that whenever one writes a check, all the banking information is there for the world to see. "Stealing" that information is as simple as reading the check. Ditto for wire transfer information, such as that I have to routinely give out to my customers abroad.

In 22 years of eBay sales, some exceeding $30,000, I've never had an issue receiving what is due me, but I have been scammed right here on the TMF. And I personally know of two people who have been killed by allowing people they don't know (i.e. via CraigsList) onto their properties. Unless somebody has been a previous customer, nobody gets into my house to "shop" for any item.

There's no simple solution, but if you want to do business, you've got to take some degree of risk....just play it smart.

Raphael

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 am And I personally know of two people who have been killed by allowing people they don't know (i.e. via CraigsList) onto their properties.
WOW Really ! That's astonishing :o Were the offenders caught?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

soundgen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 am
Raphael wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 am And I personally know of two people who have been killed by allowing people they don't know (i.e. via CraigsList) onto their properties.
WOW Really ! That's astonishing :o
Unfortunately no, it's not. I would suggest reading a book called "How to Be Invisible" which is about maintaining privacy and security in a world where personal information is increasingly tracked and/or available a bit too easily. Some of the techniques are definitely not for everyone, but the basic principles still apply. Currently in the 3rd edition. The first edition is highly obsolete, but the 2nd is still useful.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Holy cow, this slipped away quickly...

Using PayPal to sell through a website doesn't require people coming to your house. Same as eBay, same banking type info, just now they go to your site and you don't pass as many fees along to the buyers.

If you WANTED to use Craigslist think about this; 50 million people use Craigslist a year coordinating transactions in the hundreds of millions. 20 deaths have been attributed to Craigslist. You're as likely to be killed by somebody walking on the sidewalk next to your house... which isn't very likely.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That's true... One friend said :"Life is a pure [crap]... and at the end, you die!" This stated, there's no more left than being reasonably safe (i. e. not imprudent) and don't worry too much...
Inigo

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Also now Ebay hold money for ages , I sold lots of items on the 4th and today they are still processing them , they will have held this money for 4 days , never happened with PayPal :x

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:56 pm That's true... One friend said :"Life is a pure [crap]... and at the end, you die!" This stated, there's no more left than being reasonably safe (i. e. not imprudent) and don't worry too much...
Life's a [Fifi] and then you die ! Dorothy Parker ?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Inigo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:56 pm That's true... One friend said :"Life is a pure [crap]... and at the end, you die!" This stated, there's no more left than being reasonably safe (i. e. not imprudent) and don't worry too much...
My personal favorite is "Life is sexually transmitted- and fatal". Can't argue with that...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:40 pm
My personal favorite is "Life is sexually transmitted- and fatal". Can't argue with that...
Except perhaps for Tardigrades http://www.astronoo.com/en/news/tardigrade.html :D

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

soundgen wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:17 am
Life's a [Fifi] and then you die ! Dorothy Parker ?
"It's a tough world out there: a man's lucky to get out out of it alive."
- W.C. Fields

- Bill