Rare 1906 Pathé Disc on eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Rare 1906 Pathé Disc on eBay

Post by Curt A »

This is unplayable, but has the recorded side intact...
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/324649081294?mk ... olid=10001
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 7.11.33 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Rare 1906 Pathé Disc on eBay

Post by Curt A »

If you have never seen this record before, it was the first Pathé disc made in 1906 out of cement with the recording side somehow pressed in wax. Most or the survivors have little or no wax recording left. The reason this is unplayable is the fact that playing it would most likely peel off the remaining wax surface... I have a nice copy, but the playing side is blank... (not my fault).
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

These are great display pieces with the red rooster print. It is one of the first examples of laminated records, however none of these surviving examples are playable, due to the thermal incompatibility between the base material and the recorded layer. The recorded layer cracked within one year of its production, making Pathé give up on lamination and utilize a single shellac-based material. Other contemporary laminated processes, like the English Nicole (paper-based) fared better, but Columbia was the one that really succeeded in the lamination, producing very a stable material combination and quiet surfaces that survive splendidly in our days.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The wax looks like it is all there. I'm sure it could be played with a laser reader.