Edison C-150 for auction (Scottish Borders)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Edison C-150 for auction (Scottish Borders)

Post by epigramophone »

Edison disc machines are not my thing, but here is a C-150 Sheraton with original and lateral reproducers plus some discs.
If it sells for anything like the pre sale estimate it could be a good buy for someone.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 4300f9e223
Attachments
C-150.jpg

Damfino59
Victor II

Re: Edison C-150 for auction (Scottish Borders)

Post by Damfino59 »

That is a nice example of a C150. Also a earlier example 1915-16 with the pin stripping on the motor board. I had one as my very first Diamond Disc machine. It’s missing the wire rack used for record storage though. The rack looks like something somebody could of added in the 1950’s as it was originally designed to store those thick Edison record books.

I just wonder how this phonograph wound up near Scotland. Edison wasn’t exporting during the Great War. I think it was around 1921 for the Diamond Disc to be officially available in Britain. But it’s over there now and the former owner enjoyed it with both Edison discs and “standard talking machine records”. I’m just quoting those old Edison advertising slogans😜

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Edison C-150 for auction (Scottish Borders)

Post by epigramophone »

It could have been on an American transatlantic liner which was refitted in Britain. In those circumstances the unwanted fixtures and fittings were either sold to crew members or auctioned at the dockside. Most of the Victrolas I have seen over here have been for sale in or near a major seaport. Needless to say, the same thing happened when British liners were refitted in the USA.