Another large Apollo on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Another large Apollo on UK eBay.

Post by epigramophone »

Hot on the heels of the magnificent example recently acquired and posted by Steve, here is another.
These really are seriously underrated machines.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334037457375 ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
Apollo.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Another large Apollo on UK eBay.

Post by Inigo »

Indeed a serious machine. If the horn is as magnifically designed as the one we saw recently, it should sound very well. The soundbox looks like one of those Thorens-Paillard, which sound very well. The connection at the neeedlebar fulcrum is by means of a thin flexible copper plate, attached by two screws (the ones in the photo) to the needlebar, and the other two are attached to the sb body. I've had three of these and the sound is deep bass and nice crispy treble, and very powerful and full sound.
s-l1600.jpg
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Okay, so if I shuffle things around again and take out my kitchen and bathroom, I might be able to make some space for this! I could have stereo Apollos or maybe a non matching pair. :lol:

It certainly looks impressive enough and I like the style but I notice it doesn't say "Deep Tone Resonator" or "Super 9" on it anywhere. If its different under the hood I wonder what the horn is made of and what configuration it is? Maybe I could ask the seller. It would be great if he/she was anywhere near as obliging as the people I purchased my example from.

Thanks, Roger, for the heads up as always.

Inigo, that soundbox is a Paillard definitely and it shares the standard form with a commonly available soundbox Paillard made which became the "No. 8" on 1930s Decca portables alongside Alba and many other makers who put their names on it. As you say it is a great sounding soundbox.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

This sums up the state of British gramophone collecting.
If I was there I would have bought it immediately. The horn in there must be quite something. The walnut veneer alone is worth the asking price.
Someone please go get it.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

chunnybh wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 pm This sums up the state of British gramophone collecting.
If I was there I would have bought it immediately. The horn in there must be quite something. The walnut veneer alone is worth the asking price.
I agree but I believe it's always been the same here? There are far too many gurus telling people what not to collect and pushing newcomers to buy the predictable but safe and well known makers, read: small machines portables, HMV and Edison etc.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I wish the sellers would post the dimensions of the cabinet. Judging from the size of the components -- tonearm, 12" turntable, etc. -- this one seems considerably smaller than the one posted here -- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49730 For instance, about two 12" turntables could sit side by side in the player compartment, which would make the cabinet about 24" - 26" inches wide, whereas, there looks to be room for 3 turntables side by side in the player compartment of the model posted by Steve. That would be about 36" inches wide.

But, even if it's a smaller model, I think it's still worth the price, considering the condition of the walnut veneer.

OrthoFan

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

OrthoFan wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:14 pm I wish the sellers would post the dimensions of the cabinet. Judging from the size of the components -- tonearm, 12" turntable, etc. -- this one seems considerably smaller than the one posted here -- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49730 For instance, about two 12" turntables could sit side by side in the player compartment, which would make the cabinet about 24" - 26" inches wide, whereas, there looks to be room for 3 turntables side by side in the player compartment of the model posted by Steve. That would be about 36" inches wide.

But, even if it's a smaller model, I think it's still worth the price, considering the condition of the walnut veneer.

OrthoFan
They do give the dimensions. Its quite a bit smaller than mine as you noted. For the record my machine is 28" wide by 24" deep by 40" high.

The Ebay example under discussion is 27" wide by 19" deep by 33" high.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Steve wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 pm They do give the dimensions. Its quite a bit smaller than mine as you noted. For the record my machine is 28" wide by 24" deep by 40" high.
The Ebay example under discussion is 27" wide by 19" deep by 33" high.
Thanks, I just saw that now. Seems I didn't scroll down far enough. That would be about the size of the VV-4-20--one of the small Orthophonic models--give an inch or two.

OF

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

If one buys this machine is ebay contractually obligated to deliver for their represented "Global Shipping Program" price
Attachments
apollo 12p.JPG

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

chunnybh wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 pm This sums up the state of British gramophone collecting.
I got it, Chunny! The horn is a metal saxophone type similar to the HMV models, totally different to my Super 9, but they still make a pleasing pair!