Black Patti - Hightower Nighthawks SOLD!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Black Patti - Hightower Nighthawks SOLD!

Post by Edisonfan »

Last edited by Edisonfan on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Black Patti - Hightower Nighthawks

Post by gramophone-georg »

Ooooooooh.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Pic for posterity.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you for posting a picture!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I couldn't find the Hightower Nighthawks version, but found this by Clarence Williams: Squeeze Me - Clarence Williams (Paramount)

I guess you can hear the original version for $1,898.00 (or maybe more)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivpYe9ChBLE
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I have to say this... I don't know if someone feels like me... I love pristine copies of 78s, sounding well, etc. But these worn copies, as the examples shared by Roaring20s of this rare record, have a special charm to me. In a certain way, I also like to listen to worn 78s with stressed grooves, and that cracking noise accompanying the strong chords of the intensity of the music, or reinforcing the rhythm beats... I have many records of these, well worn copies that sound clear, but have these stressed grooves. They are like live things, they are worn because they have been played many times, and in these cracking sounds they're telling us about how much have they been enjoyed by former owners
They remind me of my very first experience with 78s, when Dad brought home the grandpa's records to tapecopy them. They were all worn this way, much played and abused, and played several times with the same needle, due to life expensive on our 1940s Spain, where needles were also a luxury. Their gramophone was an old model bought by grandpa in 192x... and had a heavy mica diaphragm. The same machine lasted long years, and played many electrical records until well into the fifties, no doubt helping to their deterioration....
I learned by hart those old worn records, with their music and their noises....
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:10 am I have to say this... I don't know if someone feels like me... I love pristine copies of 78s, sounding well, etc. But these worn copies, as the examples shared by Roaring20s of this rare record, have a special charm to me. In a certain way, I also like to listen to worn 78s with stressed grooves, and that cracking noise accompanying the strong chords of the intensity of the music, or reinforcing the rhythm beats... I have many records of these, well worn copies that sound clear, but have these stressed grooves. They are like live things, they are worn because they have been played many times, and in these cracking sounds they're telling us about how much have they been enjoyed by former owners
They remind me of my very first experience with 78s, when Dad brought home the grandpa's records to tapecopy them. They were all worn this way, much played and abused, and played several times with the same needle, due to life expensive on our 1940s Spain, where needles were also a luxury. Their gramophone was an old model bought by grandpa in 192x... and had a heavy mica diaphragm. The same machine lasted long years, and played many electrical records until well into the fifties, no doubt helping to their deterioration....
I learned by hart those old worn records, with their music and their noises....
I agree with you entirely.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

:D :D
Inigo

Edisonfan
Victor V