A PayPal Saga

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: A PayPal Saga

Post by Raphael »

As expected, the buyer has now opened a chargeback case with his credit card company. He is demanding $2750 for repair of the watch. PayPal advises me that no further information is required from me; they will handle the chargeback, as they have enough information at this time to fight it.

Raphael

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Well, glad it ended ok for you. Pity your friends' watch didn't go to a good home, but...!
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

He is demanding $2750 for repair of the watch.

Typical con artist... buy something that has been repaired professionally before you get it, you mishandle it, don't read instructions and screw it up then demand repairs to fix what you broke... What an arrogant, narcissistic a$$...

It might be an idea to post this "buyer's name", so that no one else accidentally runs into him...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Glad to hear you are getting a little peace and a settlement on this case. It is a hassle dealing with them. I went thru one too. I purchased a cannon camera from a seller on e bay. I got notified it had been shipped and two days later delivered to my zip code in calif. and the parcel being handed to a lady. I purchased it on the eighth at 7:00 pm from someone in Boston and the tracking showed the number being scanned in before I won the auction. It was shipped from Macon Ga. ups. It was delivered on the tenth. Since it showed delivered to my zip code when I filed a claim they denied it. I researched it and gave a correct time line showing it was impossible to be shipped like that on my appeal. After a few weeks I won my appeal and got the refund. I have been having a lot of problems with people not shipping after purchase, ebay cancelling the sell after I won, delayed shipping, and the normal improperly wrapped item damaging it. I am now going to appeal a radio that I purchased earlier last month and he has not shipped nor responded to my E mails. I am giving up on ebay. Too much hassle . Tom

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Curt A wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:26 pm He is demanding $2750 for repair of the watch.

Typical con artist... buy something that has been repaired professionally before you get it, you mishandle it, don't read instructions and screw it up then demand repairs to fix what you broke... What an arrogant, narcissistic a$$...

It might be an idea to post this "buyer's name", so that no one else accidentally runs into him...
I fully intend to post the buyer’s name and eBay ID once this matter is resolved permanently.

He picked $2750 out of thin air; having bought and sold many musical automaton watches over the years I know how difficult it is to find anybody who will even look at them, even modern ones. This particular watch, complex and historical in nature, with a sur-plateau music box and quarter-repeater function, took me many months of searching to find a watchmaker capable (and willing) to fix it.

Raphael

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE: PayPal has now suspended my account pending resolution of the chargeback. I spent an hour on line today providing them information on all recent activities, payments, etc. and all sorts of other data. I need to call them today to get to the bottom of this absurd situation.

Raphael

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Pay Pal holds sellers hostage which is unfortunate.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Be sure to post the lunatic's name that started this... eBay name, email address, actual name and address... and screw PayPal.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

UPDATE:

PayPal has now restricted the account of my biggest customer and my biggest supplier. We do tons of business together and there are lots of payments both ways. The demands for information from PayPal is so incredible that all we can surmise is that they simply want us to close our accounts, which we will do in lieu of submitting bank statements, tax returns, etc.

Raphael
Last edited by Raphael on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

I will purchase items via paypal, but when Ebay required using them as a clearing agent, holding my assets, essentially acting as a bank with no governance by banking regulators, I stopped selling on Ebay. Immediately. Instead, I developed a network of dealers and regional auction houses which specialize in my interests. Indeed, I pay greater commissions, but the relationships I have built have provided me with exclusive purchasing opportunities as well. And, I can shake my agent's hand without the need of counting my fingers afterward. Commerce, old school.

P.S. When I disband my collection of gramophones and records, it will be on this forum's marketplace, to brethren, directly.

Robert