EMG Portable Gramophone ? Or EMG Connection ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

EMG Portable Gramophone ? Or EMG Connection ?

Post by poodling around »

I thought this was really interesting.

The turntable reminds me of some which were used on EMG's ? Am I mistaken ?

The record storage 'letterbox slot' is interesting.

It seems very good quality - very well built.

The soundbox seems unusual ?

The lid locks look a bit like Orchorsols ?

So, is there an EMG connection ?

Has anyone seen a similar gramophone or know what this is ?

Interestingly, someone bid on it within about 4 hours of it being advertised .................................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284360559167 ... Sww01g4y77
Attachments
whatt.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: EMG Portable Gramophone ? Or EMG Connection ?

Post by Steve »

No EMG connection whatsoever and nothing very remarkable in all honesty. The motor is a typical Garrard which was used in dozens of different makes, EMG being only one of them.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

WHat's true is that it has an attractive look, and seems to be well made. If the horn is as long as it promises, with this 5a-esque soundbox and apparent good tracking, it must sound good. THe horn mouth cannot be well seen, and it seems somewhat hidden below the turntable, though.... But if I lived nearby, I'd try to pick it, if only for curiosity...
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 pm No EMG connection whatsoever and nothing very remarkable in all honesty. The motor is a typical Garrard which was used in dozens of different makes, EMG being only one of them.
Thank you very much for the information / clarification Steve. I really appreciate it.

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:52 pm WHat's true is that it has an attractive look, and seems to be well made. If the horn is as long as it promises, with this 5a-esque soundbox and apparent good tracking, it must sound good. THe horn mouth cannot be well seen, and it seems somewhat hidden below the turntable, though.... But if I lived nearby, I'd try to pick it, if only for curiosity...
Very good indeed to have your considered opinion Inigo.

Thank you.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I do not think the lid arrangement is intended for record storage.
The depth of the lid, and the flap in the front of it, suggests that the machine can be played with the lid closed.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

It seems odd that the 12 inch turntable and deckplate obstruct a significant area of the horn mouth. I wonder whether it had an ordinary 10 inch turntable originally.

Rather than record storage, I think that aperture in the lid at the front may be for sound - it looks as though this machine could be played with the lid down, something that most portables can't do. (Edit, I've just seen that Epigramophone has said the same thing!)

The lid catches are similar to those seen on some record cases of the period.

As others have said, it's nothing remotely connected with EMG.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Without knowing the dimensions of the case I cannot be sure, but it looks to me like a 10 inch turntable on (as Steve has pointed out) a Garrard motor plate and appears to be original to the machine. It is a pity there is no manufacturer's name on the case, but there might be on the soundbox.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:54 am Without knowing the dimensions of the case I cannot be sure, but it looks to me like a 10 inch turntable on (as Steve has pointed out) a Garrard motor plate and appears to be original to the machine. It is a pity there is no manufacturer's name on the case, but there might be on the soundbox.
On second thoughts I think you're right, 10". Strange that it should obstruct the horn mouth so much.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm not convinced the turntable obscures the horn. I think its the camera angle in the photo making it look that way. Also, it might be worth pointing out that the motor and tone arm boards are laid out in HMV 101 fashion so the horn aperture is a relatively small area to the rear left hand side of the case as you view it. The horn opening is not full width like a Decca 110, 120, 130 or indeed an Orchosol.