HMV94 on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

HMV94 on UK eBay.

Post by epigramophone »

Attachments
94.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV94 on UK eBay.

Post by Phono48 »

Nice little machine, with a double spring motor, but I 'm sure the winding handle is not the original. The wooden grip is the wrong shape, and the whole handle too big. On my 94 the handle is the same as that on the 97, i.e. a simple slotted one, and it is stored on the left side of the internal horn, there being no 102 style clip and socket in the lid. It looks likely that they have been taken from a 102, as has the lid stay, which again should be the same as that on the 97. The complete autobrake is missing, (The main part and also the actuating plate on the base of the arm) but they shouldn't be too hard to find. Apart from the motor the 94 is identcal in every respect to the 97.

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Barry, I have no idea what a 97/94 winding handle looks like so I'd be very grateful if you could add a photo of yours at some point. Also, if you spot a spare one for sale please kindly let me know as I need one!

Many thanks.

Steve

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Here you are Steve. This one is from a 97, which always have the plastic "fishtail" grip, but the 94 has a wooden, round grip, which I can photo if you need it?

Barry
Attachments
P1050521.JPG
P1050522.JPG

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am Here you are Steve. This one is from a 97, which always have the plastic "fishtail" grip, but the 94 has a wooden, round grip, which I can photo if you need it?

Barry
Actually i think you'll find this is a Columbia winder with a Columbia handle handle , all the HMV ones I have seen are normal HMV shape never the fishtail grip , I assume the original has been lost at some time and replaced with a Columbia

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

soundgen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:47 amActually i think you'll find this is a Columbia winder with a Columbia handle handle , all the HMV ones I have seen are normal HMV shape never the fishtail grip , I assume the original has been lost at some time and replaced with a Columbia
Have a look on Google "images", there are at least six HMV 97s, all with the plastic fishtail grip. On the same site I've just counted ten Columbia 204s, and nine of those have a round wooden grip.
Barry

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am Here you are Steve. This one is from a 97, which always have the plastic "fishtail" grip, but the 94 has a wooden, round grip, which I can photo if you need it?

Barry
Thanks Barry!

I'll take your pictures and study a few Ebay listings. I don't think there has been one for sale for a long time?

I have a 94 missing its winding handle.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Barry
Thanks Barry!

I'll take your pictures and study a few Ebay listings. I don't think there has been one for sale for a long time?

I have a 94 missing its winding handle.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

[YouTube][/YouTube]
Steve wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:54 pm I have a 94 missing its winding handle.
I've just been in contact with a collector who has two 94s, and both of them have the same handle as the 97 I sent a ptoto of. So it looks as though the handle on my 94 is a later replacement, and a wrong one at that! Just out of curiosity, Steve, what colour is yours? Mine, and the two that he owns are more of an orange/brown than the one on ebay, which looks to be a very dark brown.

Barry

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Mine is a very light milk chocolate brown. The one on Ebay isn't any darker than mine; it's just filthy dirty! I've never seen an orangey brown one!