What's a canvas case cover worth?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

What's a canvas case cover worth?

Post by epigramophone »

This HMV102D, one of the batch made for the Ministry of Supply, has the protective canvas case cover sold as an accessory.
I read somewhere that these covers were not made or retailed by HMV, but more likely by camping equipment suppliers.
It will be interesting to see what difference the cover makes to the eventual selling price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353594683216 ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
102D.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: What's a canvas case cover worth?

Post by Inigo »

Beautiful, mine doesn't have the canvas!
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm This HMV102D, one of the batch made for the Ministry of Supply, has the protective canvas case cover sold as an accessory.
I read somewhere that these covers were not made or retailed by HMV, but more likely by camping equipment suppliers.
It will be interesting to see what difference the cover makes to the eventual selling price.

Especially since the cover is not removable according to its current owner. It's physically screwed into the case. If these weren't part of the original packaging then the cover is "after market" but crucially damaging to the case.

So how much is a 102D worth full of holes?

I'm going to view it tomorrow anyway!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I viewed this today and its a very well used example, probably sent overseas. Not surprisingly it exhibits
signs of considerable wear and tear including to the non-removable canvas cover.

It's interesting and something I'd probably like to view in a museum with a great story or provenance attached to it. Without this my interest in purchasing it for my collection has all but dissipated.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm This HMV102D, one of the batch made for the Ministry of Supply, has the protective canvas case cover sold as an accessory.

To answer the title of this thread: clearly quite a lot judging by the current price with over one day to go!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Finished at £340, so considering the condition and the fact that ANY 102 seems to make anything between £200-400 on Ebay now, it wasn't all that special or surprising.