Asinine use (abuse) of 78 records

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Asinine use (abuse) of 78 records

Post by Curt A »

This has got to be one of the more idiotic reasons to destroy 78 records... coasters???
This Past-Times place apparently has mass destruction planned since they printed up boxes for them...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193885879357 ... SwK61gIqTb
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 9.19.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 9.18.31 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Asinine use (abuse) of 78 records

Post by dzavracky »

I’ve thought about doing this with some of my already broken records…. But I’d never do this to a nonbroken one :roll: :?

David

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Fortunately they seem to have gone out of business... :D
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 9.59.02 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

If they were doing this using perfectly good or even passable records then yeah, that super sucks. But right now I can tell you that I've got 60 of these on my coffee table that I spent the weekend making. Any records that I can't superglue or fix with epoxy (big chips that have wrecked grooves, cracks that won't meet up, etc) go into a pile and, as I just can't bring myself to throw them away, it's a great way of at least saving the label. I even have themes: Christmas records for the holidays, patriotic tunes for US holidays, Victor black labels when I'm feelin' Victor black, and Victor red labels when I'm feelin' Victor red. ;)

I may even start selling some for folks who would like them but don't want to put that kind of work in. My coasters will all have a disclaimer like "No Playable Records Were Harmed During The Making Of These Coasters" or maybe even "If You Even THINK Of Putting A Drink On My Phonograph You Will At Least Die Less If You Use One Of These".

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I don't think I'd want to use coasters with a drain hole in the middle.
I suppose they'd be ok for coffee cups, but for cold drinks it kind of defeats the purpose.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:56 am I don't think I'd want to use coasters with a drain hole in the middle.
I suppose they'd be ok for coffee cups, but for cold drinks it kind of defeats the purpose.
This! :coffee:

Personally it doesn't bother me what other people do with their records. You have to ask yourself how did they get those records in the first place and why?

I've seen literally tens of thousands of 78s being thrown in skips over the years. I have a few hundred I will probably do that with too. They're not rare or of any particular value. If I wanted tacky coasters and I could be bothered to make them I would do something similar but luckily I don't and I can't!

As Shane said they're a dumb idea anyway as they defeat their purpose with cold drinks.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:56 am I don't think I'd want to use coasters with a drain hole in the middle.
Once I bought records from a guy that threw in the box as freebees (or frisbees?) some label coasters like these, but the holes had been filled with resin. These with holes, as Shane says and title of thread suggests, are a dumb idea. And as the seller went under, apparently the market for these things is not booming.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

If, like most collectors, you come across records that are badly scatched, cracked or chipped, then why not turn them into something useful, rather than sending them to landfill? Personally, I couldn't be bothered, but have, in the past, given hundreds to a young chap who was turning tham into fruit bowls and yes, coasters. He backed them with felt, and filled the holes with something, and did well selling them at boot fairs. I admired his enterprising spirit, and will gladly give him another load when he needs them.

Barry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

No problem with trashed records or Harry Lauder's, but I'm waiting for the day when I see a Black Patti coaster on Etsy or eBay... :roll: :? The main problem is that the crafters and upcyclers don't have a clue when it comes to identifying a really good record.

My Wife

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

The records you originally posted were re-issue Brunswick Bing Crosby and that seemed to generate a pretty emotional response... ;)

I have records I certainly hated turning into coasters, but the alternative was to throw them in the bin. Murphy's Law, you get a whole bunch
of records for free in a lot and as you're thumbing through them it's always the Mitch Miller Columbia red labels that are in perfect shape but
that one Billie Holiday record not only has a chunk taken AND some kid long ago carved their name through the grooves that remain...