Asinine use (abuse) of 78 records

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Re: Asinine use (abuse) of 78 records

Post by AudioFeline »

I have no problem with damaged records being recycled into something else. An those with no value can be crafted as well. I've even turned a broken 78 into a nice wall clock!

But I do have a problem with those with no idea what is a good record or not.

I recall reading a post on a forum many years ago (I regret not saving a copy of it) where the poster was talking about viewing an art exhibition at the local high school. The artwork was the usual bad standard, however, the teacher couldn't believe it when the poster wanted to buy one of the artworks - it hadn't occurred before, and she thought the student must have achieved a high standard. After the transaction was made, she asked the buyer why he was interested. He said he wanted it because it had 78 records on it. He identified one of the records as being a particularly rare blues disk, with only three known to exist in very poor condition. One of the disks on the artwork was a previously undiscovered fourth copy, which if hadn't been destroyed in the artwork would have been worth many thousands of dollars. Although he knew that the record was only worth a few dollars in it's newly-destroyed condition, he wanted to own it anyway. The teacher's face went white, with the realization that not all old things were worthless.