Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Fireside - Great for "restoration"

Post by Curt A »

Seller's Description:
Antique Edison Fireside Cylinder Phonograph w Combination K Reproducer Project
"Antique Edison Fireside Cylinder Phonograph w Combination K Reproducer great for restoration needs. This is rough and rusty. Everything is stuck on it. It has a combination K Reproducer that will need restoration. The knurled tighten screw is stuck and I can't take it out of the Reproducer. Good for Project restoration parts. Check out the photo's for condition"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334148771187?h ... Sw7LhhQUd8

Personally, I can't begin to imagine where this was stored to get that "wonderful patina"... a little furniture polish and this is ready to go... :? :roll: :lol:

If you have dreamed of a cylinder player for your rat rod, this could be it...

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.28.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.28.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.29.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.29.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.30.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.31.24 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Fireside - Great for "restoration"

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

This, at a tenth of the price, would be quite fun for someone who wants to go the full mile and make a machine like new. Sandblast it all, electroplate the nickel plated parts, repaint and re-decal the motorboard, rebuild that K reproducer, replace + regrease the spring, etc. A lot of people might feel bad doing that to a machine in decent condition, but for a project like that this could definitely be a worthy candidate. Shame it's so ridiculously expensive.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am This, at a tenth of the price, would be quite fun for someone who wants to go the full mile and make a machine like new. Sandblast it all, electroplate the nickel plated parts, repaint and re-decal the motorboard, rebuild that K reproducer, replace + regrease the spring, etc. A lot of people might feel bad doing that to a machine in decent condition, but for a project like that this could definitely be a worthy candidate. Shame it's so ridiculously expensive.
Agreed; the ones in awful condition are always fun to get going again.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I'm sure they are- I'm really looking forward to whenever I can get proper motor parts for my great grandpa's Silvertone. I intend to fully refinish the exterior, rebuild the motor fully, and rebuild the reproducer.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am This, at a tenth of the price, would be quite fun for someone who wants to go the full mile and make a machine like new. Sandblast it all, electroplate the nickel plated parts, repaint and re-decal the motorboard, rebuild that K reproducer, replace + regrease the spring, etc. A lot of people might feel bad doing that to a machine in decent condition, but for a project like that this could definitely be a worthy candidate. Shame it's so ridiculously expensive.
I agree, that for $25.00, it would be a challenge to get this running but no guarantee you could get the K reproducer out in one piece. For $250 you would be better off putting that towards a working one...

Maybe, just clear coat the "patina" and leave it as a rat-phono... it seems to work for cars, why not phonographs?

Just imagine trying to get that feed screw working again... :shock: :?
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.00.06 AM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I applaud anyone that could go the full mile on a project like this. Just curious... What is an estimate of out of pocket expenses and how many hours of labor would you imagine? Thanks for your best guess. :)

Jerry B.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

It's hard to imagine how many hours of work would be necessary to completely dismantle this, assuming that it could be done. Some of those rusted screws might never break loose, they might just break off. Then once it's dismantled, how many hours would it take to clean all of the rust and pitting off each part and would the parts even be salvageable? The feedscrew, half nut, carriage, crank, governor parts and reproducer would need replacing, along with who knows what else. I know it could be done more than likely, but what would you have in the end... a $300-400 machine (or less)?

Personally, I think it's toast... unless you use it as an "art" display, like the guy who throws stuff into hot springs... :roll: :lol:

My Wife